juniper berries substitute

Started by teet, March 25, 2009, 06:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teet

HI what i can use instead of juniper berries in pastrami ?
thank you

Smokin Soon

Pastrami is not so picky, use the flavors that you like. It does need the cracked pepper, but blast it with some tasty onion garlic ect. I just open up the spice cabinet and "get busy"

Ka Honu

I use coriander, peppercorns, onion powder, paprika, thyme, & garlic powder.

Habanero Smoker

Are you adding it to the cure or the rub; or both? Believe it or not here are the substitutions for juniper berries.

Juniper Berries Substitutes
1 teaspoon gin for every 2 berries
                    or
equal parts crushed bay leaves and caraway seeds.

I haven't tried the above substitutions, but the equal parts bay leaves or caraway seeds must refer to volume measurement. I like adding juniper berries to the cure, it kicks it up to another level and makes the final product a deeper red, but I generally don't use then in the rub, because they can tend to over power the other ingredients. You can use just the spices you like, but for me cracked black pepper and coriander are two main essential ingredient for pastrami.

Edited:
First post read equal amounts of bay leaves; or caraway seeds; which is incorrect.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Habs...why do the juniper berries make the product more red?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: La Quinta on March 26, 2009, 07:11:14 PM
Habs...why do the juniper berries make the product more red?

When I mix up my brine, I bruise (mash) the berries, and simmer the berries and other seasonings in the brine for about 15 minutes. The color in the berries act as a dye and colors the brine; which in turn adds that color to the meat.

That is for when I simmer the brine. I just came across a recipe that has a method in which I won't have to simmer the brine to get the full flavor of the seasoning. First you mix your salt and sugar in the full amount of water. Use 2 cups of that brine and place it in a blender. Add your seasonings and blend until evenly blended and smooth. Add the blended mixture to the brine and stir well.

Next Thursday, I'm going to purchase some brisket flats to make some pastrami. I'm going to use this method and I see if the juniper berries act in the same way.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Wow! I really must have been half asleep when I wrote the above.

The wet brining (pickle) is a method I use for hams, which I'm in the process of preparing. I dry cure my pastrami. What I do with the juniper berries, is that I place them in a coffee grinder that has a blade (or mini food processor) with the peppercorns and grind until it is fairly ground up. Mix it in with the rest of the seasonings and cure and apply it. The salt draws the color from the berries into the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ka Honu

When life gives you juniper berries, make gin.

La Quinta

Thanks for the answer...the salt draws the color in....interesting...

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 27, 2009, 02:23:07 PM

The wet brining (pickle) is a method I use for hams, which I'm in the process of preparing. I dry cure my pastrami. What I do with the juniper berries, is that I place them in a coffee grinder that has a blade (or mini food processor) with the peppercorns and grind until it is fairly ground up. Mix it in with the rest of the seasonings and cure and apply it. The salt draws the color from the berries into the meat.

Habs was we having a Puff Puff Pass moment here? Bogarting will get you every time. LOL
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 27, 2009, 06:37:05 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 27, 2009, 02:23:07 PM

Habs was we having a Puff Puff Pass moment here? Bogarting will get you every time. LOL

It had to have been that special blend smoke. 8)

I
         don't
                   inhale.