lamb riblets

Started by KARENCOOKS, March 26, 2009, 11:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KARENCOOKS

I have a small rack of lamb riblets, any idea how long to smoke? Should I treat them as baby back ribs or spare ribs? Or maybe keep med rare like the rack. Any help would be appreciated.

Wildcat

I have done leg of lamb but not the rib.  I would recommend about 1.5 if smoke then cook until desired doneness.  I prefer medium myself.  I also prefer apple on lamb.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

If they are the kind with a thick layer of fat and have part of the breast - I'd cook them for 4 or 5 hours or until tender.  For lamb ribs - 200 - 225 for 3 or 4 hours - much like a baby back rib.  Can't do them like a leg or chop.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

car54

I have seen lamb ribs at Mexican grocery stores and it does not look like they have much meat on them. I would just put them in the smoker and monitor the meat temperature. Personally I do not think that they will take long to cook. I like lamb so please give us the technique and results.

Brad

Piker

callsign.BULL

I just did racks of lamb back ribs yesterday for the first time. The 1-1/2 lb package of two small, well-trimmed, chilled slabs went a 4-hour cook, a dry 2-hour apple smoke, 225F, one slot over a sheet pan of water. Basted at two hours and again at three hours. The consistency was good - crisp on the outside, and acceptably moist inside. My spices for the dry rub might have been a little too aggressive - brown sugar, garlic powder, sumac, fresh ground rosemary, Colman's dry mustard and S & P. The basting/glazing sauce was diluted honey, a little soy sauce and black pepper. Next time I might try rubbing the racks first with a little Dijon mustard and season with just the garlic, rosemary and S & P. For the basting sauce I will stay with the diluted honey, but just add S & P to keep it neutral tasting. It is definitely worth doing again and experimenting with, in spite of the racks not being cheap (almost $12/lb). I found the 1-1/2 lb just right for two - the bones are quite small (thin).

It's best to slice the racks tight against one edge of each bone with the blade angled toward the outer side to leave all the meat together on the other side.

BULL