Which one to get?

Started by Ken C., March 28, 2009, 07:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken C.

> hello everyone....just registerd a few minutes ago

> received an e-mail from Canadian Tire (Ontario) that the Bradley original smoker is on sale
   so that spiked my interest

>  then noticed the Bradley Digital smoker and would like to know if the digital is worth the xtra
    $;  the original is on sale for $289 - reg. $389 and the digital is regular priced at $499

>  I'm happy to say I have about $700 in Canadian Tire money so either unit won't cost me
    personally

>  abouit 4 years ago, I ordered a Primo Oval Smoker from the fine state of Georgia and thoroughly
    enjoy usihg that;  also have the Weber metal grill as most of us likely have

>  would appreciate opinions on which smoker to get - is the digital really worth the $ difference

thanks....Ken

Mr Walleye

Hi Ken and welcome to the forum from a fellow Canuck.

Personally... I would go with the OBS and possibly consider adding a PID to it if you want to control the temps better. A PID is a temp control device that is very accurate and allows you to control the temps better when doing things like sausage or salmon/fish. If you compare the price of an OBS with PID to a DBS you will find the total cost to be similar but the OBS with the PID will control the temps more accurately. JMHO.

Also, if you get a chance, click on the smoker in the bottom of my post and have a look at the recipe site. Tons of great stuff there all from the fine folks on the forum here.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Welcome Ken!
Your in my backyard........all that smoke you've been smelling....thats me! ;D

Personally I would go with the digital and still get a PID (around $240 CDN).

Don't forget a Maverick (wireless temp probes), then you may want to get into stuffing, then...........I have stop myself, I'm drolling on the keyboard :)

Lumpy

Mr Walleye

Actually.. Lumpy has a good point. I was just thinking based on real money!  :D

The DBS does have a few advantages over the OBS even when using the PID. To name a few...

- You still have the ability to use the smoke generator timer.
- Stainless interior vs aluminium, not much of an advantage.
- No circuit board in the bottom of the tower to be concerned about moisture with.
- No front leg issue causing the face plate to crack.

These are not huge advantages but if your buying it with Canadian Tire money... What the heck!  ;)

I'm also running a DBS with a PID.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

I just love the fancy digital readout on the front. Makes me look like a pro when friends come over ;D

Don't alway need the PID with the digital, but if you have it..........

Lumpy

beefmann

id go with the digital and enjoy

seemore

starship

Welcome Ken

I have the OBS (orginal Bradley Smoker) with the plug & Play PID from Auber.  A link to the unit is enclosed.  Auber has great service and will answer any questions.
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72&zenid=ba82c9e61010d7ce2b0d4f7304cb3aca
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Ken C!

I have and OBS with PID.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the fourm Ken!

You won't go wrong either way ya go!  I run an OBS and PID I built from the plans on the receipe site.

Good luck and once again welcome aboard!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!