How many Bisquettes do I need to use?

Started by PensacolaJim, March 28, 2009, 09:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PensacolaJim

When smoking Ribs (for example) 6 hours, Do I have to smoke for the total time of 6 hours?
My Bisquettes don't seem to burn completely up, it seems like a waste.
Some things can take 12 hrs. or longer. Is there a rule for how long smoke should be added?
Thanks in advance,
Jim
Slow Smoked and falling off the bone, Yum!

lumpy

When  I smoke sausages, I will smoke for up to 8 hours. Ribs at least 3 hours.

I'm curious why your pucks are not burning up all the way ??? During the smoke or isi t just at the end?
Do you use Bubba pucks?

Lumpy

The big guns will be along and tell you exactly wbout smoking times

Mr Walleye

Jim

Here is a link to the FAQ on this topic over on the Recipe Site. It should answer your questions.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=773&postcount=16

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caneyscud

Jim,

You don't have to smoke the entire time.  I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but how long depends on your taste.  If you like light smoke flavor, not much time with the bisquettes.  If you like heavy smoke flavor - more bisquettes.  Most people seem to like from 3 to 6 hours of smoke on pork or beef.  I like smoke flavor so I go 4 to 6 hours.  Much more smoking time than that, I believe you will get diminishing returns - i.e. the amount of smoke flavor added, if any, is not worth the cost of pucks.  And many people foil after 3 or 4 hours which would stop the smoke adding anything except a yellow brown color on the foil.  As an old time stickburner I was/am amazed as to how much smoke those little pucks can add to meat.  I would suggest the first smoke to go maybe 3 hours of smoke or less and see if you like it.   If it is too light, next time add another 40 minutes of smoke (2 pucks) and see if you like it again.  Keep going until you find the amount of smoke you like.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Wildcat

I vary from 2 to 4 hours of smoke on anything that I do - depending on the meat and wood used.  On ribs, if I use Mesquite, I will smoke for about two and a half hours.  If I use apple I will smoke for 3 to 4 hours.  I mostly smoke butts or brisket and I always apply 4 hours of smoke.  I personally do not think you get any more flavor by smoking for longer than 4 hours.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I use 4 hours of smoke on butts, three hours on ribs and chicken.

I would start with 2 hours (six pucks) unless you like a lot of smoke flavor.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!