I'm trying a fatty!

Started by tssgery, March 29, 2009, 11:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: tssgery on March 29, 2009, 01:27:47 PM
Quote from: Up In Smoke on March 29, 2009, 01:21:10 PM
i think we should all get together and cater a cardiologists convention ;D ;D ;D
I thought about making a healthier version with Turkey Italian Sausage but didn't think it would hold together as well. So, I put spinach in it... spinach is healthy, right? ;)

SYNTAX ERROR - Keywords "Fatty" and "Healthy" conflict and are mutually exclusive. Please correct and resubmit.

:D :D ;D ;D ::) ::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

seemore

That looks wonderful!
I too like FATTYPALOOSA! 

West Coast Sausage Maker

Very nice, instead of spinach try bacon. ;)
soylent green is people

moses

that looks amazing how long did it take to get to 170 and what temp did you cook it at? also is the 170 IT takin in the stuffing or the sausage?

tssgery

Quote from: moses on April 10, 2009, 04:35:27 PM
that looks amazing how long did it take to get to 170 and what temp did you cook it at? also is the 170 IT takin in the stuffing or the sausage?

I think it took about 4 or 5 hours, and the 170 was in the middle of the fatty, so it was probably in the stuffing. I may be wrong but my thinking was... "if it's 170 in the middle then the sausage has to be done, plus it smells really really good and I'm hungry!"

NePaSmoKer

I have ground bacon in with the beef when i do fattys  ;D

nepas

Smokin Soon

Nepa, different looking screen, what is it?

La Quinta

I gotta say that bacon weaving is really impressive...I'm sure your wife is wow'd...I'd love for my hubby to do bacon weaving...he does pastry weaving...but that's "just NOT the same"  ;D

SemperFiPhil

WOW!  I am really looking forward to trying those.  I am sure there are complete recipes here somewhere for the different versions, right?

tssgery

Quote from: SemperFiPhil on April 12, 2009, 09:00:38 AM
WOW!  I am really looking forward to trying those.  I am sure there are complete recipes here somewhere for the different versions, right?

There's no real "recipes"... just take a sausage you like. Some people like an italian sausage but I think most prefer a breakfast sausage. Flatten it out, fill with stuff you like, wrap it in bacon, and smoke that bad boy.

You can find some pretty good ideas by searching the forums, but by all means... tailor it to what YOU like.

;D

bigcatdaddy

Holy cow that looks great.  Pardon me while I pick my bottom jaw off the floor.  If I could only learn to weave the bacon!!!!

SemperFiPhil

I am wondering if something like this can be done in a regular household oven.  There is no need to remind me that it will not have the same flavor as being done in a smoker, however... never the less... anyone have temps and times for a regular oven?  (By the way... these look like a real work of art.)

Thanks all.

Ka Honu

Yes, you can cook a fatty in TBE or a "regular" oven.  Best results I've had, especially if it's bacon-wrapped, are smoking it first and finishing in TBE (which really crisps up the bacon).

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: SemperFiPhil on April 19, 2009, 11:26:33 AM
I am wondering if something like this can be done in a regular household oven.  There is no need to remind me that it will not have the same flavor as being done in a smoker, however... never the less... anyone have temps and times for a regular oven?  (By the way... these look like a real work of art.)

Thanks all.

If using an oven I would bake it like a meatloaf at 350°F. Check it after 45 minutes to 1 hour to see if it if done, using the clear juice method.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Calling bird

Oh,my God,it looks wonderful,my mouth water has been pouring,I will cook it at once!