Hot smokin' fish

Started by bianchi1313, January 28, 2004, 11:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bianchi1313

New user with issues: Tried hot smoking fish for the first time - turned out pretty good, but way too salty after overnight curing. Advice? Need recipes and advice on smoke flavor for redfish, trout, flounder. Finally, my briquette advancer ain't advancing. Suggestions before I return to manufacturer? Thanks.

stormdiver

Hi for an overnight cure you can use 50% salt 50% sugar or more sugar if you require. Also you can brine and then leave to hang for about 6 hours. Brinning fish can depend on size from 10mins to a few hours
regards
Scott

Stormdiver

Regforte

Post your recipe. Without that I can only give the following general advice.

1> Use less salt
2> Cure for less time
3> Rinse more thoroughly

Bassman

About the advancer not advancing briquetts.I had the same problem.Bradley told me that if it advances with the advance button but not automatically (every 20 minutes),it is an issue with the smoke generator.If there is no advancement either way (automatically or button) it could be obstructed with wood chips and a good cleaning could fix it.Bradley is sending me a new smoke generator no questions asked.Their customer service is great![:)]

Jack
Jack

Fuzzybear

Trout is so delicate, I wouldn't put more than 2 chips in and only apple or cherry or alder - a really light flavor wood...I generally leave whole trout on for about 1 hour at a medium high temp.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Kummok

If it's salmon you be smokin', try the recipe I just posted on the FISH forum....it hasn't failed me yet, even as bad as I abuse it[:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA