New Bradley Smoker

Started by islandcrabber, April 07, 2009, 12:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandcrabber

I am doing my first batch of ribs this weekend, what is a good setting on the manual temp switch to get the smoker anywhere between 225-250 degrees?  I know this will depend on weather conditions and size of the food load, but is there a general rule to set it on during pre-heating?  This site has already been a big learning curve for me, thanks for any feedback.

Wildcat

On the original I recommend that you move the slider all the way to the right then back off just a small bit.  Once the cabinet temp gets to where you want it, you will probably need to move the slider back to the left in increments until the temp is roughly stable.  May take awhile.  Slight learning curve, but you will get it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Carter

Hi Islandcrabber,

It depends where you are in the country too.  Wildcat's in Florida so it gets a little warm down there.

Up here in the Great White North, I'm running my Bradley at full tilt all the way to the right almost all the time (unless I'm doing Salmon).

Carter

islandcrabber

Thanks for the info, when I was seasoning it I had it about 1/2 way and it got up to about 150 degrees.  I am here in Maryland, hoping for it to warm up soon.

Gizmo

Quote from: islandcrabber on April 08, 2009, 05:48:24 PM
Thanks for the info, when I was seasoning it I had it about 1/2 way and it got up to about 150 degrees.  I am here in Maryland, hoping for it to warm up soon.

You will find that with a load of meat in the box, you will need the slider further to the right as was mentioned by Wildcat and Carter for some time while the meat warms up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pfowl01

Islandcrabber,

The temp probe on the door is not known for it's accuracy. Most of us here us a Maverick redi check therm. It has a probe for the smoker cabinet temp and a probe for your food.....it also has a wireless transceiver that's good up to about 50' line of sight.

islandcrabber

Thanks for all the tips, how many degrees does the door thermometer differ from a maverick reading? I did buy a maverick probe, it has two probes, can I use one for the meat and one for cabinet temperature?

seemore

Gizmo

Quote from: islandcrabber on April 09, 2009, 06:50:52 PM
Thanks for all the tips, how many degrees does the door thermometer differ from a maverick reading? I did buy a maverick probe, it has two probes, can I use one for the meat and one for cabinet temperature?

If you place the Maverick probe next to the door thermometer you will probably see a very similar temperature.  If you place the Maverick probe in another location such as lower in the box, above the meat, more towards the back of the unit, etc. etc. you will see significant differences in temperature.

The best places to locate the Maverick oven probe is next to the meat so you know exactly what the temperature the meat is experiencing.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/