Further away in London, UK!

Started by ExpatCanadian, April 02, 2009, 05:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Hello all...

Just to say hi...  I'm located in London, UK...  and am now the proud owner of a 4-Rack digital Bradley.  I'm originally from Canada, Saskatchewan in fact, and my wife is from Richmond, BC.  In fact she's flying back today to spend a week with her parents, and I already have a shopping list of stuff for her to bring back, since Bradley in Delta is just around the corner from Richmond so to speak!  Bisquettes and all things Bradley in general are quite expensive over here...  you can pretty much count on whatever the Canadian $$$ price is, it will be at least the same number in £££, which pretty much makes things DOUBLE the price.  But hey, I've been putting off buying a smoker for years now, telling myself that one day I'll be back in Canada and will have all the space/time in the world for such things... but hey, I've decided life needs to be lived now, so off I go.  I have one of the best butchers in the UK (IMHO) just a few minutes from my house (The Ginger Pig, for any UK readers!) and have a good relationship with the owner, so can get pretty much any cut of meat I want and know it's going to be fresh and very high quality.

My first smoke was a FANTASTIC result with some 1 inch+ thick pork chops from the aforementioned butcher.  For those interested, the recipe can be found here:

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/smoked-pork-chops.html

Pre-heated to 200, 2 hours Apple smoke then a further 3 hours to finish cooking.  Served with a simple apple sauce, FANTASTIC!

Anyway, have some ribs in the freezer (From Costco believe it or not... we actually have Costco over here, and they do basically the same ribs as you get in the Costco's everywhere else!) so that's my weekend project.  After that, Montreal Smoked Meat or Pastrami, I already have my butcher lined up to get me a nice piece of Brisket for this....

Ok, enough already, consider me introduced!

TDC.

Wildcat

Welcome aboard.  Nice beginning there.  Looking forward to more of your posts.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

HCT

Hi tdc, welcome. Enjoy your new box.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

sherlock

Welcome to our world, now the fun begins.

First use sounds great. I will try that one myself.

Sherlock

ExpatCanadian

Sherlock: Forgot to mention the brining part...  pretty much followed his suggested recipe to the letter, and gave them about a 15 hour soak.  Rinsed with fresh water and air dried before smoking.  Used the brine in the drip tray....  smelled wonderful.

Mr Walleye

Welcome to the forum TD!

Your off to a running start!  8)

Here's how I do my back ribs if your interested....

Everybodys definition of "tender" ribs is slightly different. I like mine pretty tender.

I usually cut each rack of back ribs in half and remove the membrane the night before. Next I give them a rub with olive oil, then hit them with the rub, wrap in plastic and store in the fridge till the next day. The next day I usually spray my racks with Pam and put the ribs on bone side down. I usually apply smoke for 3 hours at 220 degrees, then let them go 1 more hour without smoke at 220 degrees (total of 4 hours). I usually do a rack rotation about half way through. Next I put the ribs in a tin foil roster pan with a shot of apple juice and cover with foil. I throw them back into the smoker at 220 degrees for 3 more hours (this part can be done in the oven as well). If I put them back in the smoker for this, I usually rotate the racks once as well. Next I take them out of the foil and fire them on the grill just long enough to sauce them. Next.... fill your face! 

Like I said everybody's idea of tender is different. Also, I don't FTC ribs. You may also want to rotate racks a few times during the cook as the lower rack in the cabinet may cook a little faster.

For a rub there are a few on the recipe site Click Here Jan's Dry Rub is a nice all round rub that can be found in that link as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum tdcooper!

Let us know how the ribs turn out!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

Welcome to the forum, could not agree more about the prices but hey ho........... not a lot we can do about it and I am sure your wife will be able to get a good few bisquettes in her suitcase!!  ;)

It is certainly worth all the effort though as you are obviously finding out already.
Manxman

NewfieSmoker

And I thought I was on the end of the world here in Newfoundland!!! Great to see Bradley's all ova da Place!  Hopefully you'll get back to your Canadian roots soon!

Rob
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

NePaSmoKer

Welcome TDC

Now your on to the adventure and enjoy  ;D

nepas

seemore

ExpatCanadian

Wow...  what an overwhelming welcome!  Thanks to everyone....

I want to start commenting/posting on results etc... starting with this weekends ribs, but I think now I'll start something new in the "Recipe discussions>Meat" section....

TC.

bigredsmoker

Welcome TDC!

Was it just me or was anyone else reading his post with a british accent in your head??? probably just me. Anyway... welcome again and don't be afraid to post often.

Terry

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!