QUIT SMOKING TOBACCO

Started by Wildcat, April 02, 2009, 12:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Stopped smoking tobacco a little over two weeks ago.  I have been smoking for 43 years. The first 5 days was not an easy task.  Not a cake walk now, but at least the physical addiction (withdrawls) have subsided.  Now for the long hall of the habit.  Took my dad over 15 years to totally lose the desire.

This would be easier if I wanted to quit.  Just like with many things in this life, I have a limit on how much money I will spend on things.  Sure, I can afford it -I simply refuse to pay it...  >:(   I have no smoking related health issues. (Well perhaps a couple - I have a wart on my hand that needs to come off, starting to look older, and have some gray patches on my head.  I am sure there is a doctor out there somewhere that can connect these things to smoking.)

The state and federal government have gone crazy on how much they are taxing tobacco.  Recently went up over a dollar per pack.  It really angers me that they can single out select groups to overtax.  Tobacco, alcohol, etc.  Wonder what will be next. Dangerous foods like pork butt?  ???  I seem to recall reading about some state mandating what cooking oils restaurants can use for food preparation.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Congrats WildCat! That's fantastic!

You will feel better for it. I currently am a smoker.  :-[

I will say this though, I once quit for 6 years (Ya I know... Why the hell did you start!) and when I quit again I will never put my guard down.

Good luck and just keep slugging away one day at a time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sherlock

I quit cold turkey in 1996. Kept a carton under my seat. One day I pulled out the  carton I had just purchased a few days and there were only two packs left. I said to myself, "Self", this is ridiculous! 2.5 packs day. I am going to quit. Took the cigarettes out of my pocket, put them in the carton with the two full packs, added my lighter and threw them in gas station trash can. It was quite some time before I stopped reaching for my pocket or missing a cigarette at times I usually smoked, after eating, completion of a task, etc., etc., etc.

Good luck my friend.
:)

NePaSmoKer

Relax

Enjoy a ceegar  ;D

;D  ;D

nepas

Wildcat

That was mean NePas.  :D  That stogie is kind of like a teabag.  ;D
I can take it though. I now enjoy just being around others that smoke.  Love that aroma.

Thanks guys.  I do not want to quit - I am simply stubborn.  I have the will power. I quit for 12 months about 20 years ago on a bet.  Collected my winnings and went back to smoking.  If they repeal some of those taxes, or the price otherwise goes back to something more reasonable, I promise that I will go back to smoking.  Not likely to happen though, so I guess you can call me a quitter.  May have to shorten the table legs that my smoker sits on so I can take in a little more aroma. ::)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad you quit. Hang in there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I have been dipping snuff since I was knee high to a grasshopper.  I quit when I went through basic training but took it right back up when I got out of basic training.  My wife says I'm a bear if I go without it and the Surgeon General has never shown a study where people have been harmed by second hand spit (actually, I don't spit).  I wish I had what it takes to quit but I can only go through so many traumatic experiences at once.  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

beefmann

Wildcat,,

Gongrats on quitting, i know how hard this can be to do .. bear with it andyou will feel so much better and enjoy life so much more

Beef

West Coast Sausage Maker

Been trying to quit smoking myself. Here in British Columbia, cigarettes are not even advertised anymore, and when you go to buy them they are hidden under the counter. All the negative stigma makes a smoker feel like a second class citizen.

Its really hard to stop. Especially when you like to entertain friends around your Bradley Smoker while having a stogie and the adult beverages are flowing. You almost have to change your other habits first.

soylent green is people

smokeitall

Quote from: Smoking Duck on April 02, 2009, 02:46:35 PM
been harmed by second hand spit (actually, I don't spit). 

I gotta couple of good jokes here Marc but I think I will refrain  ;D ;D ;D ;D

NePaSmoKer

I have been dipping snuff since I was knee high to a grasshopper.  I quit when I went through basic training but took it right back up when I got out of basic training.  My wife says I'm a bear if I go without it and the Surgeon General has never shown a study where people have been harmed by second hand spit (actually, I don't spit).  I wish I had what it takes to quit but I can only go through so many traumatic experiences at once.  ;D

Is that a regular grasshopper or a tiny grasshopper.........................grasshopper  ;D

nepas

FLBentRider

Congrats on the progress WildCat.

I was in line at the grocery store today behind someone buying a pack. $6.06US !!! !AYE!

I'm glad I quit several years ago.

I went through that "Enjoying other peoples smoke" phase.

Now I find it (the smell) completely repulsive.

I dipped and chewed when I was in high school. back when it wasn't a felony.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: smokeitall on April 02, 2009, 03:23:28 PM
been harmed by second hand spit (actually, I don't spit). 

I gotta couple of good jokes here Marc but I think I will refrain  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I know, I left myself open on that one but then I thought only the most depraved of individuals would think about this. At least I know my senses are still working  ;D ;D ;D

Smoking Duck

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 02, 2009, 03:24:26 PM

Is that a regular grasshopper or a tiny grasshopper.........................grasshopper  ;D

nepas

The kind with wings  ;) ;D  Sensei

seemore

Congrats, Wildcat!  Hang in there!  Scott quit about 7 or 8 years ago.  I told him to spend the money he used on cigarettes for whatever he wanted:  KitchenAid mixer, anything else I wanted.....KIDDING!!!!!
June