QUIT SMOKING TOBACCO

Started by Wildcat, April 02, 2009, 12:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Congrats cat man!!! Hang in there guy.

NewfieSmoker

Stick to it....

"May the only smoke you see....be coming from the damper of your Bradley...!!!  And smell like Burnt Pork!
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

DrunkenMick

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 02, 2009, 03:45:07 PM
Congrats on the progress WildCat.

I was in line at the grocery store today behind someone buying a pack. $6.06US !!! !AYE!

Sheesh, be glad you're not in NJ.  I paid $7.85 yesterday.  Friends that work in NYC are paying over $8 a pack.  It's nuts.  I'm currently gearing up to quit.  Just started taking Chantix.  If you want to quit, this is the best way to go.  Stuff is unbelievable its scary.  You take the drug for a week while you're still smoking and then after the 7th day stop.  By the 3rd day or so cigarettes taste horrible and you really have no urge anymore.  I used it once about 8 months ago and quit for 6 months but then had some personal stuff come up which put me right back on the butts.

Seriously though, talk to your doctor and get the stuff.  It really does work.

hillbillysmoker

Congrats on taking the steps to quit guys. I quit about 10 years ago after decades on smoking. It was truly the hardest thing I have ever done, but now it is the best thing I have ever done. Each day will become easier, but you have to fight the urge to relapse. Even on cigaretter will put you right back to square one and all that hard work will be for nothing. That is my inspiration to never smoke again. I never want to have to go through the tortures of quitting again. Good Luck.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caribou

Quote from: NewfieSmoker on April 03, 2009, 02:47:14 PM
Stick to it....

"May the only smoke you see....be coming from the damper of your Bradley...!!!  And smell like Burnt Pork!
I second that!
Congrats on kicking the smoking habit Wildcat!  You stick to it for the people you love.
Carolyn

sodak

Wildcat...

My wife and I quit smoking three and a half years ago.  Although I prefer to reference it as 40 pounds ago.  I've never regretted it for a moment.

Here are my thoughts.

I was a Marlboro red man.  She was a Marlboro Light woman.  We both had tried to quit a couple times in the past.  No luck.

A health food acquaintance told us to switch to something that was 100% natural tobacco (and to quit Diet Coke before we quit smoking) and then use a patch.  So, we WEANED over to Winstons (me W reds her W golds) because they are 100% tobacco with no additives (which I didn't realize until I made the switch) and we smoked them for a couple of months.  Then we set the date to quit (Thanksgiving) and put on the patches after supper!  Haven't smoked since.  It was incredibly easy quitting compared to the past experiences.

I will tell anyone and everyone this until I hit the grave.  The tobacco companies don't care if you are trying to quit or continue to smoke.  They control the chemicals on both ends!  And, because they know you are trying to quit (but can't because the patches, gum, etc... only control nicotine cravings) they know you'll be back again and again and again.  They don't care what form you buy the nicotine in...just that you buy it.

So, long story short.  Get on a tobacco only cigarette, get used to it, and put on the patch to quit.  If you smoke anything other than 100% tobacco, you'll be Jones-ing more than one drug...and that ain't cool.

In any case, you should be proud you are doing what you are doing.  You shouldn't be doing it for the money.  You should be doing it because life is too great to be shortened by doing something intentionally stupid!  And that's from a diehard ex-smoker.

Best wishes!

Wildcat

Thanks for the encouragement and recommendations.  I am positive that I will be able to do this Cold Turkey.  I am very strong minded and extremely stubborn.  For many, to quit smoking is a big health advantage.  I do not think so for myself.  I simply have a limit that I will pay for ANYTHING.  It is not a matter of whether or not I can afford it.  I can.  I simply made a final decision that I am not going to pay an extra dollar per pack.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Never underestimate the power of stubborn.

;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

seemore

hope you are still no smoke
seemore

car54

Sodak,

What you say is interesting. Where do you get real cigarettes and what does diet coke have to do with it. I have a daughter who has tried to stop smoking with poor results.

Brad

Wildcat

Yeppers - still not smoking.  The urges can be strong at times, but otherwise not really that difficult. Anyone can stop if they truely make a final decision to do so.  You must truely want to quit for whatever reason and then just do it.  Any other approach simply makes it so difficult that most will fail.

Tiny Tim

Good job bud.  I know you don't need the encouragement, but keep it going man.  I got your back.

Roadking

Quote from: Wildcat on April 24, 2009, 06:26:49 AM
Yeppers - still not smoking.  The urges can be strong at times, but otherwise not really that difficult. Anyone can stop if they truely make a final decision to do so.  You must truely want to quit for whatever reason and then just do it.  Any other approach simply makes it so difficult that most will fail.
You can complete this, you just have to want to.
In 1993 I booked an archery Mule deer hunt in Wyoming. The outfitter said we would be hiking at around 5-8000 ft. I decided to quit for the hunt and never went back. Quit anyway you want but quit.
Congrats again!

sherlock

Wildcat
What a coincidence...... I was just going to check and see how you are doing. Sounds like you have it licked. Congratulations my friend. keep up the good work.
Nathan

Wildcat

Thanks guys.  I have always been strong willed and it has always paid off in the long run.