Hello from Fenelon Falls, Ont

Started by Crackerssouth, April 04, 2009, 06:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackerssouth

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the OBS, having been an avid smoke fanatic using the Chargriller Smoking-Pro for years, yeah, I'm an old guy, so this is a new way of smokin' for me. Nice thing about my first batch of ribs, way more moist, not so dry as with charcoal, my wife really liked them. Other bonus, no messy charcoal to light and dispose of, no grease, no smell, and I actually stayed clean with less work or would that "be with less fun". Time to move into the 21st century and banish the ole Chargriller to the far end of the deck. Looking forward to learning a lot from my fellow smokers. Just a quick hello.
Cheers.

other smokers:
bullet style smoker..... charcoal
converted garbage can... that was actually fun
Smokin-Pro..... charcoal, and converted to use propane also

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum Crackers.

Lots of great folks here with great tips and tricks. There are no dumb questions here either. One thing to remember about your Bradley is to never close your vent off totally, always have it atleast 1/4 way open.

Enjoy your new smokin toy.

nepas

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum and Bradley!  I recommend that you keep a good charcoal/hard wood grill/smoker in your inventory.  The Bradley is perfect for almost everything IMHO.  I have found that for some things like lean steaks (although the Bradley does a great job at cold smoking these for grilling later), a hot grill with chunk wood does a better job.  One of my first hot smokes in the Bradley was a NY Strip.  Great flavor, but almost too tough to chew.  Since then I have cold smoked them, wrapped and refrigerated over night and grilled the next day.  These turn out very well, but I still think the Hard Wood grill/smoker is better for these.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Yeah what cat said but get a Traeger  ;D  :D

nepas

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Crackerssouth!

I _used_ to have a charcoal smoker... a Brinkmann... I smoked more in the OBS the first month than I ever did with the Brinkmann..
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Hi Cracker and welcome to the forum.

If you haven't been to the recipe site yet just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post, tons of great stuff there all from the fine folks on the forum here.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

I had a side burner unit that worked really good.  Gave it away to a needy family when I got the Bradley.  Realized that I need a wood/charcoal unit for beef steaks, burgers, and dogs so I bought a really nice Brinkman.  Ideal for grilling steaks with either charcoal or chunk wood or both.  Also great for finishing ribs and chicken when the Bradley gets through with them. ;)  I also have a Coalman Road Trip Gas Grill.  Rarely use it though, because I really like to grill or cook with charcoal and/or wood.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokey the Bear.

Hello Cracker, I just bought a OBS unit last week and am trying it for the first time today. I would advise on doing the extra element mod as the temperature does not rise enough for the temps we are experincing today.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

seemore

HCT

Welcome Cracker.
Hmmmmm, never called anyone a cracker before. :D :D :D ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

sherlock

:)Welcome to our world

Now the fun begins ;D