MAX TIME FOR FTC ????

Started by moses, April 10, 2009, 04:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moses

Im doing 2 pork butts for tomarrow. they are looking like they might be done way earlier then expected. i normally smoke then go to the oven but i couldnt use the oven so i couldnt keep the temp right at 210 were i like it. does any body know just how long i can leave them in FTC. I might need to go to 10-12 hours... is this asking to get sick? if so what would be the max i can leave them in the FTC???? please help.

FLBentRider

It depends on how well insulated (and how full) your cooler is. I have FTC'd pork butts for as long as 9 hours.

I would monitor the temps and put them in the fridge when the IT drops below 140F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

The longest I have ever done the FTC thing was 3-4 hours. Others may disagree. For a crowd, I usually FTC for a couple of hours, and then pull and vac-seal. Half with sauce and half with no sauce for personal preferences. Next day it goes into one of those big oval crock pots for warming, add some Apple Juice as needed if it looks too dry. Most times not needed. I have a few crock pots so I can offer some different
versions such as a vinaigrette, BBQ, and plain.

moses

could i leave them in the bradley at a lower temp say 170 for longer

Wildcat

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 10, 2009, 04:38:16 PM
It depends on how well insulated (and how full) your cooler is. I have FTC'd pork butts for as long as 9 hours.

I would monitor the temps and put them in the fridge when the IT drops below 140F

This sounds like your best choice to me given you time period. 

Smokin Soon's method is a great one that I use a lot.

I would not keep it in the BS after it reaches about 190 unless you wrap in foil and then no lower than say 150.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

moses

instead of 210 can i turn the temp down to 195 to slow the cooking time?

Smokin Soon

Moses, just tell us what your time constraints are, and we will try to help. I usually adjust my schedule to smoke times, as I know they will not change to accommodate me!

moses

well we are supposed to eat at 3pm tomarrow (famaly gathering). my wifes brother and his wife are flying in from TEXAS. the meat is curently at an IT of 177 and im freaking out.. well not realy just not to happy that im going to be up at 4am (estimated) to FTC the meat. thats why i was wondering about FTC'ing it for 10-12 hours or trying to lower the temp or something else. i dont wanna have to reheat it that takes all the fun out. i wanna pull it and eat right then. oh and i live in NY so its 10:23. yeah i know a yankee making pulled pork for a texan who woulda ever thought..

KyNola

Moses,
Do you have a microwave oven?  They generally are very well insulated.  You can FTC in the microwave.  Preheat the micro with a cup of water.  Put the water in, bring it to a boil and then snatch the water out and put the butts in quickly.  DON'T POWER UP THE MICROWAVE! Just put the butts in FTC.  If you don't open the door until you're ready to amaze your family, the butts will hold for several hours.  Have done it many times.

KyNola

moses

yeah i was planning on using the microwave for the cooler part but will it get me to 10 hours?

Wildcat

The others are stearing you right plus yes you can lower the cooking temp.  I normally try to cook butts around 200.  I usually wind up with 205 but have cooked at 195 and 200.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

moses

once the butts hit 190 can i lower the temp of the bradley to 170 and just leave them in there untill im ready to pull instead of FTC or will that dry them out

Ka Honu

At that point I'd go with the FTC (possibly adding a bit of apple juice) to "suck" the juices back into the meat while maintaining a decent IT.

Habanero Smoker

It's probably too late to chime in; the others have given you good advice. I can't help you with the FTC; I rarely use that technique. Though it is fun to pull the pork in front of the guest, doing it the day before or even hours before improves the flavor. It gives the seasonings in the bark time to blend more evenly throughout the meat.

I have held fully cooked meat in my OBS at 150°F, for a lengthy period of time using a temperature control device. That does work well as long as you foil and seal it tight.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)