ABT's ----- Pepper preparation question

Started by AggieBQ72, April 04, 2009, 12:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AggieBQ72

When making the ABT's, do you parboil the cleaned out jalapeno peppers or just wash them with water before filling.  Somehow I would think that parboiling would make the pepper softer when finished.

Working now in preparing a batch so someone let me know ASAP what you think.

Mr Walleye

Aggie

I have never parboiled them and I can't recall hearing anybody else doing it either to my knowledge.

Hopefully some others will chime in too.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

AggieBQ72

I'm HOOKED on ABT'S!  I made a batch of 18 that I was going to split in half and take to a Sunday School social tomorrow morning and after I sat and ate 10 of them I ended up going back to store and buying 20 more jalapenos and made a second batch.

Man.....are those things addictive!!!!  Second batch I put some of the seeds in a grinder and pulverized them and then added back to the mixture of hamburger meat and cream cheese.  Hopefully they will have a little more FIRE than the first batch that I cleaned out and washed thoroughly!

BTW, did NOT parpoil peppers first.

pensrock

I never boil them either, would probably remove too much heat, not that penos have much heat to begin with.  ;D

lumpy

Check out my pictures in the meat topic under "boys weekend" and check out my ABT's and other goodies.
I do not preboil anything that goes into the smoker. IMHO, it would take out the good taste.

Lumpy

pfowl01

Here's a dumb question.....what are "ABT's"?

lumpy

Atomic Buffalo Turds also known as stuffed jalepenos

Lumpy

pfowl01

Oooooohhhhhh.....I'm gonna make some of those chicken, ham, cheese, and bacon rolls tommorrow ;D ;D :D

pensrock

If you want some heat with the stuffed peppers, make some ADT's, Atomic Dragon Turds. Make them the same way but use habeneros instead of jalapenos. Or you can chop up a hab and mix some in with the cheese/meat stuffing in the peno.

DrunkenMick

Quote from: pensrock on April 06, 2009, 11:12:31 AM
If you want some heat with the stuffed peppers, make some ADT's, Atomic Dragon Turds. Make them the same way but use habeneros instead of jalapenos. Or you can chop up a hab and mix some in with the cheese/meat stuffing in the peno.

Seriously.  That's just nuts. 

How do you all normally get the bacon to crisp up?  Mine came out and the bacon wasn't nearly as crisp as i wanted it.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: DrunkenMick on April 06, 2009, 11:41:00 AM

Seriously.  That's just nuts. 

How do you all normally get the bacon to crisp up?  Mine came out and the bacon wasn't nearly as crisp as i wanted it.

Not nuts it's and adrenaline rush. Mine are usually in there for 2-3 hours bacon never gets real crispy but I like soft bacon. Some finish in the Big easy or put under a broiler for a couple of minutes and last but not least you can finish on the grill with indirect heat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Quote from: DrunkenMick on April 06, 2009, 11:41:00 AMHow do you all normally get the bacon to crisp up? 

I use Char Broil's The Big Easy (TBE). It's like a stationary, high temp rotisserie.  Lots of threads and info both here and on their website and forum.

pfowl01

QuoteHow do you all normally get the bacon to crisp up?

I pull mine out of the smoker when they hit around 150deg IT. Then I put them on a wire rack that fits inside a sheet pan and into a 300-350deg oven they go until IT hits 165deg ;D

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

MallardWacker

For the other side of the temperature range...how 'bout some Pablanos.  You got to try these.  I make a small "T" cut and gently clean them out so not to tear the pepper...then cram them full with what ever.  To eat six of is nothing.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...