Ground beef jerky and curing

Started by pfowl01, April 06, 2009, 07:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfowl01

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the threads about gb jerky. The process of forming it into a pan, freezing it, and then slicing it the next day appeals to me. I just have a few questions about it........After mixing everything together and forming it into a pan, don't you have to let it cure for awhile before you freeze it? Or is it actually curing in the freezer? Is everyone using already ground hamburger or or grinding there own? If so, what cut of meat are you using?

Mr Walleye

Pfowl01

I formed mine in the pans and put them directly into the freezer. The cure is there to protect the meat from the nasties between 40 degrees and 140 degrees.

You want to use as lean a meat as possible. The last I did I used 93/7 or what some places refer to as extra lean. Some people grind their own but I have good access to ground beef so mine is already ground when I get it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

I use ground chuck 85/15 when i dont have time to grind my own. As far as the cure goes mix it with the rest of the dry then into the amount of liquid your recipe calls for. Mix well, this way the slurry will incorporate into the meat better when mixing. Then form and freeze for a later use. BTW if you use water try to use distilled or filtered water.

nepas

pfowl01

Thanks for the replys ;D

I picked up some bottom round roast for $1.99/lb....gonna trim the fat and grind it up for jerky. Say....what if your using a commerical jerky seasoing and it doesn't call for water to be mixed in?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pfowl01 on April 06, 2009, 10:33:31 AM
Thanks for the replys ;D

I picked up some bottom round roast for $1.99/lb....gonna trim the fat and grind it up for jerky. Say....what if your using a commerical jerky seasoing and it doesn't call for water to be mixed in?

I would use a little water its easier to mix into the meat and the seasoning is mixed throuout. How many lbs are you making? Maybe use 1/2 cup water for 5lbs of meat.

I found over the years that adding dry seasoning into the meat can make chunks of seasoning in the meat. If you have a meat mixer adding the dry w/out water will work adding slowly.

nepas

pfowl01

Nepas,

Gonna make five pounds and use high mnt original ;)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pfowl01 on April 06, 2009, 10:45:25 AM
Nepas,

I would use 1/2 cup of water, its not going to impart the flavor of the jerky at all. Are you going to use a jerky gun (shooter)

Also are you going to full smoke dehydrate or smoke/dehydrate.

nepas

pfowl01

Nepa,

I am going to use the 8x8 pan method and slice the frozen on the slicer. I will full smoke dehydrate :) Sounds good on the water I will be doing that.

deb415611

Quote from: pfowl01 on April 06, 2009, 10:45:25 AM
Nepas,

pfowl-

I'm not at home so I can't check but I think that hi-mountain calls for water when using ground meat.

Deb

Gizmo

Deb is right.  I just made 10 lbs of HM this past weekend and the first time using Ground Beef.  I had 85-15 or 90/10, don't remember.  Way too much fat content but then the price was great.  Hm recommends using 1/2 cup of water per pound of Ground.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

josbocc

pfowl,

Gizmo and Deb have got you pointed in the right direction as far as Hi-Mtn seasonings go.  I just put 15 lbs. of Mandarin Teriyaki flavored GB in my Brand-Spanking-New Cabelas 80l, (got it last week to replace my LEM 10 tray stainless steel dehydrator), and I used 4 cups of water/teriyaki sauce.

The 1/2 cup liquid per pound of GB has worked well for me.  I often substitute teriyaki sauce or apple juice for the water, and have been very satisfied with the results.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Smokin Soon

I tried a 50/50 mix of Apple Juice and Yoshida sauce and was very pleased with the results. When I do fatty's it's a BBQ sauce with a kick instead of water. I think the mix just needs the added moisture for the spices to get friendly with the meat. Not really sure. In sausages that have somewhat a sweet taste I will add a dash of 7-up and some Hawaiian Punch. Just gotta find the taste that hit's the mark!