Any tips for a first time chicken smoker?

Started by Show me the smoke, April 06, 2009, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Show me the smoke

I have had the bs about a month now and have smoked some pork and sausage, this weekend I'm thinking about some boneless chicken breasts, may be wraping them in bacon, any tips?  How about temps and times.

Ka Honu

There are several recommended options (under "Chicken") on the recipe site here.

Up In Smoke

welcome show me the smoke
you have got to try the bacon wrapped chicken breasts.
they are a little tricky the first time you make them but man are
they ever worth the effort..
i have had 3 women offer marriage proposals because of them.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mheath

Here is my tip...........Don't overcook them!!!!!  Use a thermometer and watch them like a hawk.  Chicken breasts are easy to overcook.

Caneyscud

Amen to that mheath!  Sometimes marinating them for a little while helps in keeping them moist.  They cook faster than you might think.  The contest guys have pretty much given up on getting yardbird breasts correctly cooked, and usually turn in thighs.  I have used whole thighs and boneless thigh with great success - more forgiving, and arguably more flavorful.  Boneless ones are loads faster.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Show me the smoke!

For some reason, chicken breasts are juicer when still attached to the chicken.

The boneless skinless ones I have done, even wrapped in bacon, were drier than I like.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

There seems to be a split second window for chicken breasts as far as cooking times go. Very easy to cross the line for a dry breast. Just remember that a breast that has become too dry will make the best chicken salad you have ever had!

standles

Keep the vent open more than normally would.   This keeps the moisture down and allows more smoke into the meat.   I always smoked mine and finished on thew grill.   Same good taste and crispy skin as well.

Steven