Help on Jerk Chicken Leg Quartes

Started by okeejohn, January 28, 2009, 06:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

I have 5 ready for the Bradley for dinner tonight. My question is, at what temp and for how long to cook? What wood would you recommend?  ???I don't want anything overpowering. I was thinking apple, cherry or possibly mesquite.

Okeejohn
Okeechobee Florida

Habanero Smoker

I try to get my OBS up as high as it will get, yet keep it low enough so I can get enough smoke on it. I try to smoke/cook at around 250°F. I can't help you on times, I've never done a batch that small. I take them out of the smoker when they react an internal temperature of 160°F - 162°F. I generally use 1:40 hours of maple or apple for chicken, but oak and pecan also work well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Okee...go with 2 hours at 225  (ya gotta take it's temp with an instant read...or whatever you have thermometer) and I'd use hickory (mesquite is good for beef IMHO) not sure I would use it on chicken...but WTS may come on and dispute that!!!

Just my opinion.... Good luck...  :)

nickld

I've been thinking about doing some jerk chicken in the OBS and finishing in the Big Easy Habs. I've used a simple jerk marinade but am interested in your recipe if you don't mind.  I'll see if I can dig up the recipe I used. I did to a batch of beef jerky once with a jerk marinade I put together but too much nutmeg/allspice for me.  Some folks really liked it though.... Possibly a jerk chicken or turkey jerky project in the near future....   8)

~Nick

okeejohn

Nick
I use the Jerk seasoning from the jar. Usually Grace. I add to it garlic, onion and thyme. First I rinse my chicken with vinager and liberally apply the Jerk seasoning (3-4 tablespoons) and add the above mentioned items. Sometimes I also add a little whole Allspice. I then add a little dash of Jamaican Rum and then let it maranate in my Reveo.

Okeejohn

Habanero Smoker

My favorite commercial jerk sauce is Walkerswood. If you can find that you should give it a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

canadiansmoker

Quote from: La Quinta on January 28, 2009, 08:00:07 PM
Okee...go with 2 hours at 225  (ya gotta take it's temp with an instant read...or whatever you have thermometer) and I'd use hickory (mesquite is good for beef IMHO) not sure I would use it on chicken...but WTS may come on and dispute that!!!

Just my opinion.... Good luck...  :)

I hate to say this, but I actually love the mesquite flavour on chicken. Not too strong, just right.

La Quinta

No worries canadianman...As we all know it is all about taste...I like hickory...some like mesquite...others like fruitier woods...doesn't matter...sharing recipes and stuff is the good thing!!!  :) The more opinions...the better the food!!

Smokey the Bear.

I was thinking about trying Jerk Chicken Thighs on the smoker. How did the above Jerking taste, please report back.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

okeejohn

Habnero is right... Walkerswood is the BEST Jerk seasonoing.

Okeejohn

Smokin Soon

That is a very tasty jerk seasoning. I had a late night cook for some friends who were craving more of the "jerk" flavor, so I injected them with a thinned down mix of Walkerswood Jerk and low sodium chicken stock, trying to create an instant brine of sorts. Fave rub on the outside, into the Bradley for 2 hours at 180 with Hickory, and finish in the Big Easy. Wish I wrote down everything I did cause it was one of those ...uh...late night genius attacks that some of us get [usally bad], but this was really good!

Habanero Smoker

Okeejohn;

I'm glad you tried it, and even more pleased that you liked it.

SS;

I never thought of injecting. That is a good idea, and your recipe looks good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.