Network Smoker Cam Running

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 15, 2009, 08:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Hi everyone

If i did this right you can see my cam up and running. Here is the ip 192.168.2.10

You might need a user name and pw to view it, just let me know.  You will need java to view it.

Im going to smoke a sausage/bacon fatty rubbed with BBBR  ;D

BBBR on the fatty

This fatty is 1/2 lb home made sausage with 1/2 lb bacon ground into it. I have my pid at 160* for 3 hrs then bumped to 170* for another 2 hrs until i get an IT of 155-160*

nepas

Mr Walleye

I can't seem to connect to it NePas. I can't even get the page to come up asking for the login.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on April 15, 2009, 08:44:28 AM
I can't seem to connect to it NePas. I can't even get the page to come up asking for the login.

Mike

i might need giz to help on this

nepas

Tenpoint5

Even with the updated Java I still can't get it to load Rick. Time for Giz to do his magic.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 15, 2009, 09:08:50 AM
Even with the updated Java I still can't get it to load Rick. Time for Giz to do his magic.

Yeah i think so. i might have to open a port thru my router again.

nepas

smokeitall

On my end is says the link is broken.

tssgery

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 15, 2009, 08:14:29 AM
Hi everyone

If i did this right you can see my cam up and running. Here is the ip 192.168.2.10

I know a "little" bit about networking, and 192.168.2.10 is a private IP address that only will work for NePaSmoker when he's at home. it's only accessible to your network and not the internet in general.

If you want people to see it, there are a few things you need to do:

1) Get a free dynamic domain name server account. www.dyndns.com is fairly popular. Signup, and it will give you a domain name that other people can use to get to your network (your router actually)
2) Tell your router to port forward http requests (on port 80) to your cam address (192.168.2.10)
3) Give people your domain name from step 1

;D

Gizmo

TSSGERY is spot on about the private address and those are not routed on the Public network (internet) and has some good advice about the free public DNS registration.
A couple of extra things to know.  You don't necessarily need the DNS registration thing, it is just a convenient way to have your address advertised with a "human" type name.
The IP address of your router on the WAN side is what folks will need to know.  It would be good to get this as a fixed IP from your provider if possible so the links or address you send out, will never change.  Most of the time you will always keep it, but just in case....  The IP address of your Webcam will need to be added into the DMZ of the router with port 80 forwarded (if your router supports that granularity) as mentioned in Tssgery's post.  You will need to fix the IP address of the WebCam so it will never change.  This will prevent some other device from inadvertently being exposed if it picks up that IP address (this is from the DHCP method of getting IP addresses).  Send me a PM on your router model number and I'll pull up the manual for the actual steps needed.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

carnie1

Who needs the puter? I think I can see all that with binoculars from here, Glad to see NePa is feeling better :D