Fatty Recipes

Started by pfowl01, April 09, 2009, 06:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfowl01

Hello everyone,

I was reading some threads on fatties and was wondering if anyone is going to put one on the recipe site? These things sound REALLY GOOD!!!! If anyone would like to share a fatty recipe with me I would greatly appreciate it...... hopfully they show up on the recipe site sometime soon. ;D ;D

Caneyscud

Those things are past good!  They are exceptional!  Not really any recipes per se, but more of process and imagination.  In it's purest form they are simple fare.  Buy a log/roll of breakfast sausage (any flavor).  The better the brand the better - lots of people prefer Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans, but others prefer other brands or homemade.  Carefully cut the wrapper off.  Sprinkle with your favorite rub and put it in the smoker at your normal smoking temps and cook to an IT of 170F.  Usually takes 3 or 4 hours for me. 

That is a fatty at it's purest form.  Now the fun comes in.  Use your imagination as to what to stuff one with.  It's obvious that one would not stuff one with lemons, but just about anything else is game.  I prefer sharp cheese with green onions and either fresh jalapenos or banana peppers.  I'm gonna make a Bacon Explosion or two this weekend.  That is basically a bacon stuffed fatty wrapped in bacon.  Place your sausage log on a sheet of plastic wrap and just pat or roll out your sausage log to a rectangle about 1/4" to 3'8" thick. Place your stuffing down the middle and using the plastic wrap roll it back up into a log.  Pinch seal the seams and the ends so you don't lose any goodness to leakage.  Sprinkle your favorite rub on and cook to an IT of 170F.  Some will wrap bacon around it before putting on the smoker.  I've seen stuffing of flavored cream cheese, mushrooms, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, link sausage, chicken tenders, tater tots and cheese, scrambled eggs and tater tots, pineapple and fontina, pear and sharp cheddar, salami and cheese, ham, small boiled potatoes, strips of duck breast, oysters, shrimp, scallops, catfish - so only your imagination is the limitation. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pfowl01 on April 09, 2009, 06:05:03 AM
Hello everyone,

I was reading some threads on fatties and was wondering if anyone is going to put one on the recipe site? These things sound REALLY GOOD!!!! If anyone would like to share a fatty recipe with me I would greatly appreciate it...... hopfully they show up on the recipe site sometime soon. ;D ;D

Now that I am out of hibernation I can start working on one.

NePas;

Can use one of your many fatty recipes, and bother you about techiques on the procecss of making a fatty.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Up In Smoke

Gotta go with Caneyscud,
there are no limitations on the inner workings of a fatty!
they are a treat all the way around!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

pfowl01

Caneyscud,

Thanks for that great explanation ;D Gonna have to do some pondering before I make one.....

Hab,
I think Nepa is gonna be gone for awhile.... I think he is having surgery, at least that's what it said on his blog.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pfowl01 on April 09, 2009, 03:11:15 PM
Caneyscud,

Thanks for that great explanation ;D Gonna have to do some pondering before I make one.....

Hab,
I think Nepa is gonna be gone for awhile.... I think he is having surgery, at least that's what it said on his blog.

I'll catch him when he gets he begins to post again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NePaSmoKer

Hi Everyone

Well i'm back.

Give me a few days to post some fatty recipes.

nepas

pfowl01

Nepa,

Thanks alot  I appreciate it ;D

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bigcatdaddy

Gotta love the Fatties.  Everytime I make one and take the first bite, my eyes roll back in my head and I go into a pure pork fat coma! :o

Caneyscud

Made three types this weekend.  No pics - I was cooking for 50 people and did not have time.

1st
Laid out a square of plastic cling wrap.  Patted Jimmy Dean (JD) Sage sausage out to approximately 8x8 or 9x9 rectangle.  Laid two 1/2" x 1/2" x 8" pieces of sharp cheddar down the middle along with 2 green onions and 4 or 5 strips of poblano peppers.  Rolled it up using the plastic wrap to help get it tight.  Seal the seam and the ends with your fingers the best you can.  Sprinkled the outside with Emeril's Essence. and then cooked to 170F IT in 200-225 deg.

2nd
This is a take off on the hard boiled egg stuffed fatties and/or scotch eggs others have made.  Poach 2 eggs until the yolk is just set.  Laid out a square of plastic cling wrap.  Patted Jimmy Dean (JD) Sage sausage out to approximately 8x8 or 9x9 rectangle.  Laid one 1/2" x 1/2" x 8" pieces of sharp cheddar down the middle along with 1 green onions and some canned diced green chilis.  Rolled it up using the plastic wrap to help get it tight.  Seal the seam and the ends with your fingers the best you can.  Sprinkled the outside with Emeril's Essence. and then cooked to 170F IT in 200-225 deg.

3rd and these are da bomb!
First time to do a Bacon Explosion (BE).  I had my doubts whether I would like these - but wow.  If you are familiar with the BE as seen on TV and other sites, this is a little different, mainly in that I did not use any barbecue sauce.  Laid out a square of plastic cling wrap.  Made a weave of bacon strips that were 7 or 8 strips wide by 7 or 8 strips long.  Patted Jimmy Dean (JD) Sage sausage out to approximately 8x8 or 9x9 rectangle on top of the bacon.  Laid one 1/2" x 1/2" x 8" pieces of sharp cheddar down the middle along with 1 green onion.  Then put a good handful of Hormel's Bacon Crumbles down the middle.  Rolled it up using the plastic wrap to help get it tight.  Seal the seam and the ends with your fingers the best you can.  Sprinkled the outside with Emeril's Essence. and then cooked to 170F IT in 200-225 deg.  WOW, WOW, WOW, did I say WOW!!!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire' 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Here is one of my fav fattie recipes. Real simple

This is for 1lb of GB.

1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp white pepper ground
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dextrose
1 Tbsp bread crumbs (store bought seasoned are fine)
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (opt)
1 tsp cure. You use cure if you smoke the fatty.

Mix all dry with the water and mix well. Mix slurry with GB to incorporate. Roll into logs and smoke with 4 pucks of your choice. Cook until IT of the fatty is between 155-160*

You can adjust the recipe to your taste or for larger batches.

nepas

pfowl01

Nepa,

Thanks for the recipe I'll have to try that! Gotta couple questions though......What does the Dextrose do and do you have to add it? Then also is the garlic fresh or some other form?
Oh ya, what temp do you run your smoker at for this?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pfowl01 on April 14, 2009, 10:16:48 AM
Nepa,

Thanks for the recipe I'll have to try that! Gotta couple questions though......What does the Dextrose do and do you have to add it? Then also is the garlic fresh or some other form?
Oh ya, what temp do you run your smoker at for this?

Dextrose gives it a slight tangy flavor, you dont have to add it. Garlic is powdered in the recipe, or you can add chopped fresh. I run the temp 200 to 225*

nepas

OU812

I dont know if you call this a fatty or not but i call it goooooood.
Take a loin (i use deer back strap)cut to about the lenght of your bacon. Cut it the long way about half way through then beat it flat kinda like you would a chicken fried steak. Then sprinkle on some tomato powder just like you would a good rub,one pound provalone cheese one bunch green onions half of a red pepper two or three jalapenos about half pound portabella shrums top all this goodness with pepperoine looks kinda like a pizza now. Roll this bad boy up tight place on your bacon weave roll again. I smoke mine at 250 F till the int temp is 145 F. I have frends that have said they hate deer, till i through this in there face. Now they come over every deer season with there hands out.