Just got my Bradley Smoker - Whoo hoo

Started by JSM, April 10, 2009, 06:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSM

I want to make some jerky. I tried the store stuff and it's too soft. I like a tough leathery jerky that makes your jaw hurt after a couple of sticks....

HCT

Welcome JSM, enjoy your jawbreakers. :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum.  There are several expert jerky makers on this forum.  First on that comes to mind is NePas.  Until someone gets on that can guide you better, check out the Recipe Site by clicking on the link at the bottom of my post.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

JSM

Hello,

Thanks for the welcome, I can't wait to get started.

I've read a lot about cutting across the grain and with the grain, which is best. What other factors make jerky soft or chewy?

Thanks for all your replies,

JSM

smokeitall

I always cut mine with the grain so that you will be biting across the grain.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JSM on April 10, 2009, 06:09:28 AM
I want to make some jerky. I tried the store stuff and it's too soft. I like a tough leathery jerky that makes your jaw hurt after a couple of sticks....

Hi JSM

I do allot of jerky mostly out of london broil but just about any kind of cut will work. So you like tough jerky ;D What i would do is cut your strips, marinade in what ever marinade you like. allot of members use High Mountain jerky kind, I dont. There are allot of simple marinades online.

When doing jerky in your smoker there are just a few things to remember, Dont use any water in your water pan, dont close the vent off fully leave 1/4 to full open, only add from 3 to 6 wood rounds to the jerky, if your jerky turns white and breaks its over cooked, you want the jerky bendable. As far as cutting you can cut any way you like, i have never noticed any difference.

Making jerky is just a small learning curve, you might mess it up once or twice so use an inexpensive cut your 1st time. We all done the mess up  ;D

nepas

JSM

Hello Nepas,

Thanks for the advice. I have read a lot of your posts. One question, you mentioned that you smoke then dehydrate, I was hoping to finish the jerky in the smoker from start to finish.

Your advice about 3-6 rounds to smoke, does that stay true if I want to finish them.

Thanks again for all your posts, you are a very valuable resource....Maybe I should be posting on the jerky board....

JSM

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JSM on April 11, 2009, 08:21:00 AM
Hello Nepas,

Thanks for the advice. I have read a lot of your posts. One question, you mentioned that you smoke then dehydrate, I was hoping to finish the jerky in the smoker from start to finish.

Your advice about 3-6 rounds to smoke, does that stay true if I want to finish them.

Thanks again for all your posts, you are a very valuable resource....Maybe I should be posting on the jerky board....

JSM

JSM

You can do a full round of jerky in your smoker. Just remember the more smoke you add the stronger it will be. Smoke then just heat. start at a temp of 150* until the smoke is done then bump to 165*, check jerky by bending it or tear to see if its getting done, if not to your liking bump to 170* for another 2 hrs. recheck the same way. if it snaps its cooked too much.

Rotate the racks from top to bottom and turn from back to front and you will be fine.

nepas