Consensus on smoking turkey & then frying?

Started by SmokinMoe, January 19, 2005, 07:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Ok, call me an idiot, but I can't give up on the turkey-yet.  I have another one thawing out in the 'frig. and I just need a little encouragement! LOL
Anyone tried smoking and then frying?  I am scared of the brine method, but would be open to a few TRIED & TRUE recipes (my turkey is 12 1/2 pounds) I don't care so much how the skin turns out, just don't want to eat another salt lick.  I realized through your responses it brined too long, so I can cut that down, no problem. I just don't want another failure.  
Has anyone ever done a paste after smoking and then put it back in?
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Chez Bubba

Try http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=668&SearchTerms=smoked,fried,turkey. There's another thread out there but I can't seem to find it.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigRed

Yep!  I smoked my turkey for Thanksgiving and then fried it! Took a 12.5 pound Turkey and cold smoked it for 4 hours or so. Then fried it in my new electric fryer 3 mins a pound and then 5 minutes more. Frying temp between 300 and 325 degrees. It turn out great. Do not inject the turkey and smoke or smoke the turkey and inject with anything than fry. You will lose one of the flavors if you do this. Your turkey should fry for approximately 35 to 41 minutes. Let it sit for at least 1/2 hour before cutting, it still maybe too hot so be careful.  Some suggestions on frying:

1. Do it outside or in the garage if you are using the propane fryer.Even if it is electric do it outside or in the garage.

2.Cover your floor area with cardboard or newspaper. You will get splatter and it is easier to clean.

3.Don't try and pour the peanut oil (ALWAYS USE PEANUT OIL) you used for frying back into the container until the next day when it has cooled off.

4. You can save the peanut oil and get at least 3 frys from it if you strain it and keep it in an air tight container in a cool place. I use the outside frig.

Good Luck and tell us your results!

BigRED

Oldman

<hr noshade size="1">SmokinMoe, you said <b>I don't care so much how the skin turns out, just don't want to eat another salt lick.</b>

I going to try to do best to give you a simple recipe that does not have amounts. This works for me and I believe it will work for you. The amounts used will be based upon how it taste to you.

Salt
MSG
Garlic

In warm water add salt to taste. The salt should be somewhat stronger than that you would add to food, but no where near the burn you get in the back of your throat when there is too much salt.

Rule one is: "Its a little salty."

Next add MSG in small amounts. Add it until you can feel a slight "slickness" between your tounge and the roof of your mouth.

Rule two is: "It is a little slick in the mouth."

Next add garlic to taste. Using the same method as the salt.

Rule three: "It is a little garlicky."

Now I have used this method to brine from 1 to 200 chickens at a time. It has never failed me.

Just make sure there is enough to cover your turkey. If bird is whole and not cut up then keep in this solution from 24-30 hours. 30 hours is out side limit to start with. If you want a stronger taste then next time leave it in longer. (Be forwarded, if you are using this mixture on whole chickens then 30 hours is the maximum. If you are using cut-up chicken 8 hours is the maximum. )

By you setting the "flavor" to your taste you will not end up with another "salt lick." However, your turkey will be enhanced.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SmokinMoe

thanks, guys, for helping me out AGAIN.
I was going to smoke it and then fry it, then I thought about grilling it on my turkey sitter...but, my primo oval lid just fell off last night and broke into 5 pieces.  Imagine my face as I watched it, in what seemed like slow motion, just pop right out of the ring and fall to the ground.  Even though it went much faster than that, I have the capacity to see in slow motion and feel the pain longer...LOL
Anyway, back to trying to brine it (less time) and trying to smoke it in the Bradley.  I will not fail, eventually.  ha ha

Primo is sending me a new lid at no charge.  A happy ending to a nightmare.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />thanks, guys, for helping me out AGAIN.
I was going to smoke it and then fry it, then I thought about grilling it on my turkey sitter...but, my primo oval lid just fell off last night and broke into 5 pieces.  Imagine my face as I watched it, in what seemed like slow motion, just pop right out of the ring and fall to the ground.  Even though it went much faster than that, I have the capacity to see in slow motion and feel the pain longer...LOL
Anyway, back to trying to brine it (less time) and trying to smoke it in the Bradley.  I will not fail, eventually.  ha ha

Primo is sending me a new lid at no charge.  A happy ending to a nightmare.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

SM,
As a Primo owner and dealer let me offer a little advice.  First when you tighten the bands don't stop until the bolt(s) actually starts to bend.  You will not break the ceramic.  For extra insurance a fellow on the Primo forum(Char~Woody) makes a clip that you can attach to the bands as extra insurance.  He will mail them to you at cost.  George and Daniel are good people and they stand behind their products 100%.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SmokinMoe

Big Smoker,
I have put out a "call" to C-W on the primo website.  They said he would show up since they haven't "seen" him for a few days.  George also told me about that.  
Daniel told me I would have to pay for it (cost plus shipping) but I am going with George and his free version! LOL
Thanks for the tip!!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
<br />1. Do it outside or in the garage if you are using the propane fryer.Even if it is electric do it outside or in the garage.

2.Cover your floor area with cardboard or newspaper. You will get splatter and it is easier to clean.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Red, I would hesitate to do it in a garage, especially if it's attached to your house. Unless, as Emeril says, you're lookin' to redecorate.

I also would accept the cleanup & not put additional flammables in the area, especially those that would soak up the oil. In the event of an accident, you could have a really hot fire, really fast.

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />
Quote<i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
<br />1. Do it outside or in the garage if you are using the propane fryer.Even if it is electric do it outside or in the garage.

2.Cover your floor area with cardboard or newspaper. You will get splatter and it is easier to clean.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Red, I would hesitate to do it in a garage, especially if it's attached to your house. Unless, as Emeril says, you're lookin' to redecorate.

I also would accept the cleanup & not put additional flammables in the area, especially those that would soak up the oil. In the event of an accident, you could have a really hot fire, really fast.

Kirk

CHEZ
I should clarify my statement. I don't fry turkeys with the garage door shut. In fact I cook just inside this stops the wind. I do sit and watch the whole process. I have graduated to the electric smoker which cooks with a lid in place and cuts down on the splider. I have done several turkeys the old way and three in the new electric cooker. The key is not to leave the cooker unattended and of course the garage door open. Regardless of where you fry anything, caution is a must on the part of the fryer. A commerical fire extinguisher is at hand in all frying attempts. I have seen the Turkey frying accident on TV. I don't want to be one of them. THANK YOU Cheez for your concern and looking out for a fellow smoker!

BigRED