Smoked Shrimp questions

Started by SmokinMoe, January 24, 2005, 01:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Hello everyone,
I smoked some shrimp this afternoon and had a few questions.  It was under 30 degrees out, so I set the Bradley for 190 degrees and put in my marinated shrimp (followed S&S recipe)but it took almost an hour to finish it.  I thought 30 minutes max would do it, but, they were pink inside in the middle when I cut one open, they weren't translucent, but pink.  That worried me, so I cooked them longer.  They were fine, not rubbery, and I didn't think they were overcooked.  Seafood scares me.  
Do you think that it was possible it would've taken that long or do you think I overcooked?  I think it was at 150 (after I opened the door for at least 10 minutes each time I checked before it would get back up to 190)
Also, anyone else think they are rich tasting?  I could only eat about 6 and then I didn't want anymore.  They were GREAT, but I thought they were rich.  
My husband said now I spoiled him for wanting to go to the restaurant for shrimp anymore.  Gosh, I guess buying my Bradley was such a good idea afterall!! LOL
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />Hello everyone,
I smoked some shrimp this afternoon and had a few questions.  It was under 30 degrees out, so I set the Bradley for 190 degrees and put in my marinated shrimp (followed S&S recipe)but it took almost an hour to finish it.  I thought 30 minutes max would do it, but, they were pink inside in the middle when I cut one open, they weren't translucent, but pink.  That worried me, so I cooked them longer.  They were fine, not rubbery, and I didn't think they were overcooked.  Seafood scares me.  
Do you think that it was possible it would've taken that long or do you think I overcooked?  I think it was at 150 (after I opened the door for at least 10 minutes each time I checked before it would get back up to 190)
Also, anyone else think they are rich tasting?  I could only eat about 6 and then I didn't want anymore.  They were GREAT, but I thought they were rich.  
My husband said now I spoiled him for wanting to go to the restaurant for shrimp anymore.  Gosh, I guess buying my Bradley was such a good idea afterall!! LOL
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi SmokinMoe,

Glad you enjoyed the S+S recipe for shrimp--my friends and I sure did! [:p]  What you describe happened to me once as well--I started at 180F, the temp dropped to about 130F after putting the shrimp in, opened the door after 15 min, then 25 min, etc..  It took nearly an hour to cook to the right color.  They were very rich and tasty, and not overcooked--just as you describe.  I think the only reason it took so long is that the average cooking temp was well below 180-190F; in fact, it was probably 150F.  If you pre-heat to about 250F before putting the shrimp in, the cab temp will drop to about 180 or so, and it is then much easier to get it to stay at 180-190 for 30 min. I also make sure the smoke is started before I put the shrimp in. Opening the door all the time is deadly!  Trust your oven temp readout, and if it's been in the 180-190 for 30 min, THEN open the door to check.  Since we know that 150F for 60 min produces the same result, you can also extrapolate to in-between temps and times if you have to.  You've discovered one of the nice things about smokin' in general and the BS in particular--it's very forgiving. [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SmokinMoe

Makes total sense!! I just wondered if I did something wrong because of the amount of time it took to cook them.  But, the temp hovered around 150-175 for most of the time and around 190 the last 10 minutes.  I hate overcooked shrimp.  
I did heat it up to 225 to begin with, but it was so cold, even the water pan had mist coming off of it when I opened the door!!
THEY were GREAT TASTING, next time though, I will put bacon on the top rack.  I planned on it, but forgot it.
My nephew made the meatloaf in the S&S book. He said he hates meatloaf, but decided to try it.  He said it was the best thing he had eaten meatloaf-wise.  He even took some to his parents and now they are going to buy a smoker since it can even make meatloaf taste great!!
Working on a sale for Chez.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

bsolomon

Another way to do shrimp would be to cold smoke them.  Put them in with a tray of ice on the lowest rack, them on the upper rack, and cold smoke for 20-40 minutes.  They will not be cooked at all, only smoked.  Then take them inside and saute them in a skillet with a little olive oil.  Since the cooking process is completely controlled in the skillet, you can watch them turn pink right before your eyes and control the cooking precisely, which will only take a couple of minutes.

birdboy

I did more shrimp this weekend, tried 3 lbs with 3 different rubs.  
I usually have smoked something before hand, like this weekend I did a couple tri-tips, pulled them to let them set for and hour or so and then through the shrimp in for 40-60 minutes.  When the shrimp come out, its time to eat.

I had usually have the smoker at 215 for smoking the meat, pull it and put the shrimp in, probably drops the internal temp to 120.  I leave the temp slider on at the same position it was for the meat but in 40 minutes or so it usually hasn't climbed back above 185.

I use a flashlight and look through the crack in the top vent to see what they look like so I don't have to open the door.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />Working on a sale for Chez.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Make sure they mention your name when they order so we know where to send a thank-you card.[;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />Working on a sale for Chez.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Make sure they mention your name when they order so we know where to send a thank-you card.[;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Congrats on #900, Chez . . . I  look forward to greeting you as our first "Millenium Member" [:D][8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br />I did more shrimp this weekend, tried 3 lbs with 3 different rubs.  
I usually have smoked something before hand, like this weekend I did a couple tri-tips, pulled them to let them set for and hour or so and then through the shrimp in for 40-60 minutes.  When the shrimp come out, its time to eat.

I had usually have the smoker at 215 for smoking the meat, pull it and put the shrimp in, probably drops the internal temp to 120.  I leave the temp slider on at the same position it was for the meat but in 40 minutes or so it usually hasn't climbed back above 185.

I use a flashlight and look through the crack in the top vent to see what they look like so I don't have to open the door.

Hi Birdboy,

Any observatons on the different rubs?  I'm always looking to experiment . . . [:D][8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

birdboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>

Hi Birdboy,

Any observatons on the different rubs?  I'm always looking to experiment . . . [:D][8D]

John
Newton MA

The smoked shrimp from S&S was good, mild, even those who aren't seafood people liked it.  The jalepeno/lime was the second favorite of the crowd, next time, need to up the jalepeno a little more.  The cajun ragin' was the favorite, very nice taste and mixed as directed with 1.5 tbl of cayenne it really was pretty mild, but excellent all around flavor.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>

Hi Birdboy,

John
Newton MA

The smoked shrimp from S&S was good, mild, even those who aren't seafood people liked it.  The jalepeno/lime was the second favorite of the crowd, next time, need to up the jalepeno a little more.  The cajun ragin' was the favorite, very nice taste and mixed as directed with 1.5 tbl of cayenne it really was pretty mild, but excellent all around flavor.

That was my experience, too!  I will try the otter rub next time, just for comparison!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA