Bradley's Cold Smoker Hose

Started by okeejohn, April 12, 2009, 06:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

Ok, just unpacked my new Bradley Cold smoker after I read all the posts . I CAREFULLY extended the hose and it tore at the bottom. >:( No way of fixing it. It just continued to unravel when I did try to fix it. I tried using a dryer hose but it did not fit and it was also made of plastic...not to sure if that would be safe or not. So now what?? ??? Call Bradley and ask for another hose or can I replace it with another hose from some where else. It seems that this hose is fragile and difficult to store, too. Its not like you can push it down and store it. For those of you that have a Bradley Cold smoker, what's your input??

Smokin Soon

Just give Bradley a call and they will help. I am very happy with my cold smoker and it will do what ever it is that you want to do without heat. My problem is that the hose is not torn, but it is not aligned properly so that the cold smoke is turned 90 degrees to the smoker. After loosening the clamps to rotate the hose position, It does not want to move. Bradley support is the best, so just give them a call.

La Quinta

I must admit...it does get a bit awkward hooking that thing up...and (and you know I don't complain) the box that holds the water bowl could be a smidge wider...that bowl full of water has to go in just right...but hell...it works like a charm...so...I'm happy I have it...and so is our cheese and salmon!!!  ;D

Habanero Smoker

I would give Bradley a call also. I understand that the hose was made of metal to act as a heat sink to cool the smoke, but as stated it is difficult to shape properly, and I have torn a few holes in mine while hooking and unhooking it.

I'm getting ready to replace mine with the more flexible hose I use when I had the cardboard box. When you stated that the replacement dryer hose would not fit; was the diameter too small to fit, or too large to tighten properly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteI CAREFULLY extended the hose and it tore at the bottom.  No way of fixing it. It just continued to unravel when I did try to fix it.

I had exactly the same problem, I think these hoses are simply not robust enough for the job and perhaps it is something Bradley needs to looks at? I also needed mine to be a S shape to fit my setup and it wasn't long enough to do anything other than a simple C shape.

Getting a suitable replacement was a bit of a problem as I could not find one of a suitable diameter, the hoses in the local hardware stores were of too small a diameter and even on the internet the closest I came was a around a centimetre too big.  >:(

Settled on a slightly oversize tube, used some window draught excluder type material to pad out the diameter of the hole slightly and because the new hose is thin aluminium managed to shape it to fit......once tightened with the clamps it is fine and does not leak. I just managed to use the original clamps but it was a close thing.

The modification is certainly a lot more robust then the original and I felt was better than simply asking Bradley for a replacement as the same thing would happen again IMHO.

Not a big deal but it did cost me a few £££'s extra to get a good quality hose.
Manxman

3rensho

I think I'll stick with my trusty cardboard box and aluminum dryer hose after reading the above.  Still on the original box, no problems and the price is right  ;D ;D.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

manxman

QuoteI think I'll stick with my trusty cardboard box and aluminum dryer hose after reading the above.  Still on the original box, no problems and the price is right   .

The cardboard box set up works really well and I was in two minds about investing in the Bradley cold smoke unit.

However apart from the hose the unit is well built and does have one or two advantages over the cardboard box set up but at around £80 it should have!!  It is not a "must have" but overall I am glad I invested in one but the hose does let it down IMHO.
Manxman

okeejohn

Habernero:
My dryer hose was too large to tighten properly. Do you think the plastic-like dryer hose is safe to use providing if I can get it to work? It seems more flexible. Or maybe an adapter of some sorts that would fit to any dryer hose properly. Any ideas??

Okeejohn

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: okeejohn on April 13, 2009, 09:50:44 AM
Habernero:
My dryer hose was too large to tighten properly. Do you think the plastic-like dryer hose is safe to use providing if I can get it to work? It seems more flexible. Or maybe an adapter of some sorts that would fit to any dryer hose properly. Any ideas??

Okeejohn

I'm not sure with the plastic hose, I have never touch the unit during a cold smoke so I don't know how hot it gets. I will have to check that out next time. I can't imagine that it would get any hotter then the dryer outlet. I don't have the plastic hose, they are not generally sold in my area. I purchase the flexible foil laminated type; it looks like aluminum foil. It's as flexible as the plastic, and that type stands up to heat pretty well.

Maybe if you can get your hands on some food safe silicone strips you can pad the area that is between the hose and where it connects. That may give you enough protection from the heat. I'm going to be making pastrami tomorrow. Since I'm going to finish the pastrami by steaming, I'll use my cold smoke setup when I apply the smoke. During that time I will check to see how hot the surface gets.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Okeejohn;

I forgot to reply to this yesterday. I did check how hot the box got where the hose connects. It was a calm day, the ambient temperature at the time was 58°F; and the box was in full sunlight. The hottest the surface got was 108°F. I feel you should be alright with the plastic hose; but if you can find the foil laminated type that it a little better.

I measured the diameter the best I could, and it appears to be 4.5 inches in diameter. My problem will be that my existing hose is too small, which is 4" in diameter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteDo you think the plastic-like dryer hose is safe

I have used a plastic dryer hose on my cold smoke cardboard box set up for several years without a problem.
Manxman

Mr Walleye

The flexible dryer vent pipe that is available here is aluminum, very sturdy and not the foil type that Habs is referring to. It's available in 3", 4" and 5" but I'm not sure if that is inside dia. or outside dia. I do know that when I built my cold smoke setup I used 4" and the outside of it fit snugly into the approximately 4.5" hole in the Bradley. Here's a picture.

Click to enlarge.....

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Mike,
I clicked to enlarge but nothing happened did we forget something? ;D ;D :D :D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

I clicked to enlarge and it worked for me.

Mr Walleye

???

I don't know... It works for me....

Here's the full size picture.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes