What to Smoke on Robert Burns Day

Started by JJC, January 24, 2005, 05:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Hi All,

Robert Burns Day is tomorrow, Jan. 25.  Having detected a wee bit a Scots background amongst a few a ye, I'd like to know your recommendations for smoked food for a Burns Supper I'm having this weekend.  On Friday, the Usquebaugh Club I run at work will be tasting several whiskeys from Kilmarnock and Ayr, Burns' birthplace and hometown.  I'll be serving a hot-smoked salmon at that event.  For Saturday's Supper I have the requisite haggis, but I like to ask for recommendations on some other (smoked) items to serve.  I'm sure a wee drammie or six will also be quaffed by those present . . .

Send me you ideas and I'll let you know which ones I use and how they came out.  Thanks!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

nsxbill

Although it is not traditional to serve Atomic Buffalo Turds at a celebration that is Scottish, at least not until you establish that tradition, they would still be a hit!  

Bill
Clan of Muirhead

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

John,
I don't even know who Robert Burns is but I agree with Bill.  I bet Robert would have insisted on having these once a week had he ever tasted them.  I made some for the Eagles/Falcons[:(][xx(] game yesterday.  One friend had never had any and he had to make himself stop eating them.  Yum Yum.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />John,
I don't even know who Robert Burns is...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Richard's older brother.[;)][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Alright, ABTs are an excellent menu choice for a "new tradition".  Any other suggestions?  How about the Brits, especially those with some Gaelic background.  Manxman, I'm thinking of you . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Although it is not traditional to serve Atomic Buffalo Turds at a celebration that is Scottish, at least not until you establish that tradition, they would still be a hit!  

Bill
Clan of Muirhead

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bill, that's a SPECTACULAR clan symbol . . . any others out there?  [8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />John,
I don't even know who Robert Burns is...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Richard's older brother.[;)][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Kirk, I had no idea you were such an historian! [:D][;)][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

Just put some Irish Wiskey in with the filling and call them <b><font color="blue">Irish Wiskey Turds</font id="blue"> </b>.  Just a thought, my brain is fried~I sarted at 3:00am yesturday and drove over 500 miles plus done the work I had to do~so if any of my posts dated as of today sound a bit "more" stupid than normal that is why.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Just put some Irish Wiskey in with the filling and call them <b><font color="blue">Irish Wiskey Turds</font id="blue"> </b>.  Just a thought, my brain is fried~I sarted at 3:00am yesturday and drove over 500 miles plus done the work I had to do~so if any of my posts dated as of today sound a bit "more" stupid than normal that is why.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

Hey Duck-man,

I knew you meant Scotch whiskey, not Irish whisky, for Burns Day . . . [:p][:D],  nice idea!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Ian

good morning JJC/John As I read this it's to late to offer any idea's if I had some anyway, you would think with a good Gaelic name like Ian I would but I don't. Any how congradulation,s on your teams win, they played a great game made the clutch play's when they had to and most of all didn't turn the ball over, if it was our fate to lose at least it was to a class oranization.[8D]

Ian {STEELERS & AFC FAN!!!}

Ian

nsx/Bill morn that is just to wild[:D]

Ian {STEELERS FAN!!}

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ian</i>
<br />good morning JJC/John As I read this it's to late to offer any idea's if I had some anyway, you would think with a good Gaelic name like Ian I would but I don't. Any how congradulation,s on your teams win, they played a great game made the clutch play's when they had to and most of all didn't turn the ball over, if it was our fate to lose at least it was to a class oranization.[8D]

Ian {STEELERS & AFC FAN!!!}
Still not too late, Ian!  Burns day is past, but the smoke-out Burns supper is Saturday.  I'm planning to have ABTs ala Bill, Clan of Muirhead [;)] spiffed up with some whisky as suggested by MW, clan of MacDuck [;)].  This is, ahem, a new Burns Day tradition in the making [:D].  I have some hot-smoked salmon (definitely Scottish) that I made using my recipe, though I really need to try Kummock's soon. I'm also doing some pulled pork as we speak as a back-up in case the haggis isn't a big hit. Come to think of it, I may try to smoke some of that as well . . . hey Duck-man, that might be a suitable food for mesquite and some pulled pork[;)][:D]!

Thanks for the encouragement for the Patriots, Ian.  I would have felt the same way had the Steelers won.  They're a class team and organization--in fact, the Pats owners publicly acknowledge how much the Steelers (and 49ers) owners helped them get set up several years ago when they bought the team.  Philly is also an excellent team with a terrific coach, but I like our chances!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
 .....clan of MacDuck [;)].  This is, ahem, a new Burns Day tradition in the making [:D].  . . . <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Clan of MacDuck, that has a nice ring to it.  I guess lets call it then~~~the first Saturday before Super Bowl~~<b><u><font color="blue">IT IS the NBD</font id="blue"></u></b>.

<i><font color="red"> (I see a new thred starting: What are you cooking on your NBD.) </font id="red"></i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
......hey Duck-man, that might be a suitable food for mesquite and some pulled pork[;)][:D]!
John
Newton MA
Man let me know, I would love to see that stiff work with something... What ever you think you need, cut in half.

Everyone have a great weekend!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JJC

Hi All,

Well, I'm resting up before company comes for my Burns Supper.  Everything is set:

Appetizers:  Apple/hickory (2:1; 2 hr) smoked cheddar and Gorgonzola

ABTs, a new Scottish tradition suggested by Muirhead and    
             MacDuck, with a Gaelic flair:  the filling is cream
             cheese and haggis soaked in a peaty/smoky scotch whisky
             and the bacon wrapped around the peppers was also sprayed
             with the same whisky and allowed to dry for an hour

Dinner: Smoked apple-smoked sausages (mixed varieties); salad greens
        with bits of smoked Gorgonzola and pear; and of course, a big
        haggis (which I suppose I could have classified as sausage)

Dessert:  apple pie, ala mode if desired

I have a collection of about 40 single malts, and I've selected several for the appetizers and several more for after dinner enjoyment.  I'll let everyone know how it comes out. [:D] I'm not Scottish, so I'll also report how the true Scotsmen liked it! [;)]

P.S.--I also have large quantities of Belhaven Scottish Ale on hand to drink in between the whisky.  Single malts and beer are great to drink together--they're both malted beverages!

John
Newton MA[:p]
John
Newton MA

nsxbill

John,

Are you going to send out direction on how to get there?  What time do you want us all there?  Sounds good...ABT's w/Haggis....good way of getting people to try it! [:D][:D]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.