What to Smoke on Robert Burns Day

Started by JJC, January 24, 2005, 05:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeanne

John
Sounds like you are one awsome host. You have some lucky friends!

JJC

Well, gang, here's the outcome of the Burns Supper . . . [:p][:p][:p]

More specifically, the ABTs were a HUGE hit.  A couple of Scotsmen said it was the best use of haggis they had ever seen.  One humorist shook her head and said "You just can't get good haggis in the US . . . of course, you can't get good haggis anywhere!"  A few folks swore they could tell the brand of scotch I had doused the bacon on the ABTs with, and as any good host would do, I let them think they could.

The smoked cheddar and Gorgonzola was well-received, with both cheeses picking up that nice golden brown tint on the outside.  As Manxman said, it wasn't a "wow", but the apple smoke definitely added some flair.  It was subtle but noticeable.  

Smoke sausages were quaffed down quickly and everyone appeared to like them though it was hard to understand the exact nature of the compliments since by that time there were a lot of people talking with their mouths full . . .

Nobody had any room for the apple pie . . . it was great at breakfast today [:D]

All in all, a smokin' Burns Supper!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

Yowzaaa JJC,

That simply sounded wonderul.  And d a bit inspiring.  Thanks for sharing that.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Yowzaaa JJC,

That simply sounded wonderul.  And d a bit inspiring.  Thanks for sharing that.

SmokeOn,

mski

Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks, Duck-man!  BTW, do you (or anyone else) know who said "Yowzaaa" in a well known movie from the 1970's?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

JJC sound like you out did yourself. Nice job!

Now I guess I've had my head in the sand over the years when ever is subject of <b>haggis</b> came up.

What heck is a <b>haggis?</b>
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

JJC, can't for the life of me.  One of my favorite sayings, especially in the duck blind is "Say Goodnight Dick".  Very few people get that..  Man I wish they had that show in reruns.. My son would really get a kick out of that.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

nsxbill

Here is a reference to Haggis, a traditional dish in Scotland:

http://www.smart.net/~tak/haggis.html

Haggis is an acquired taste...scary!

Olds, I don't think you will have to post up any recipes on Haggis to the other website!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

WOW,

Anyhing from Brisket to Sheep Stomach to Gonads.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Cock-a-Leekie
Tattie-an'-Neeps or Clapshot
(don't let Kirk get a hold on this these)

Tipsy Laird
Ratafia Biscuits (these do sound good)

To say that these may be an aquired taste maybe an under statement.  But over all very interesting...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

Wow, this is kinda interesting. I saw an article in one of the gourmet rags about a dude in Texas making authentic canned haggis. Asked the Mrs to get me some for the upcoming b-day. Never had it, wanna try it.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />JJC, can't for the life of me.  One of my favorite sayings, especially in the duck blind is "Say Goodnight Dick".  Very few people get that..  Man I wish they had that show in reruns.. My son would really get a kick out of that.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

I believe that Gig Young's signature line in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" was "Yowzaaa, Yowzaaa, Yowzaaa" as he would start up another session of the dance marathon.

As for "Say Goodnight, Dick", that's gotta be Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, right? [8D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />JJC sound like you out did yourself. Nice job!

Now I guess I've had my head in the sand over the years when ever is subject of <b>haggis</b> came up.

What heck is a <b>haggis?</b>
Olds

http://rminor.com
It was a blast!  As for haggis, I believe that Bill of the Muirhead clan has given us more info than we wanted! [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

JJC, Thanks for being honest about your age there.  Man I wish that show was in re~runs.....I'm a more slap stick humor type guy, blazing Saddles and the Original Airplane.  Can't stand the stand up type stuff, you know the type when some one stands up and makes a joke and everyone in the audiance slowly starts clapping and no one knows why they are doing it.  I think of one exception:  One of the few guys that laughed at his own jokes~~Red Skelton...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas