Too Hot, Way Too Hot

Started by SmokinMan, January 25, 2005, 05:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMan

This is suppose to be cold smoker???
Seasoned it yesterday and noticed temperature gauge shooting over 170 F so I did slide control all the way to left but temperature was still well above 150 F.
So I did unplug the heating element. Gauge in the door still said 150 F but Maverick said 168 - 170 for next 2 hours??
How do you cold smoke with this one? Desired temp. is around 85 - 120 F.

BigSmoker

Check this link for cold smoking
http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

Or(depending on how full you want to fill the cabinet with food) you can use trays of ice on some on the shelves and ice in the puck catcher bowl.  

Welcome to the forum SmokinMan.  HTH[:D].

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Also consider that an empty smoker has no resistance to heating up. Once the cold food goes into the racks, it is far denser than air & by nature, resists heating.

Plus, you won't be "preheating" the smoker if you're going to cold smoke, so the entire unit starts out at ambient, not 170F.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

Smokinman--the link that Bigsmoker provided is perfect to see how easy it is to adapt your BS to coldsmoke. I use a similar setup, the difference being I use an old LittleChief smoker instead of a cardboard box, and metal expandable dryer hose with a 90 degree fitting that goes into the Bradley cabinet. I made it to use for cold smoking salmon but have used it for cheese, meat,etc--works great. The temp never goes over a couple of degrees above the ambient.
Tom

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMan</i>
<br />This is suppose to be cold smoker???
Seasoned it yesterday and noticed temperature gauge shooting over 170 F so I did slide control all the way to left but temperature was still well above 150 F.
So I did unplug the heating element. Gauge in the door still said 150 F but Maverick said 168 - 170 for next 2 hours??
How do you cold smoke with this one? Desired temp. is around 85 - 120 F.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcome to the Forum, Kauko!  Keep askin' questions!  The info from Chez, T, and Big S are right on! [8D][8D][8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SmokinMan

Here is my new cold smoking setup.  Test fired it empty yesterday and the starting temp 73 went up to 80 after 2 h and 6 apple pucks.
Today is time to try some cured salmon.

tsquared

Smokinman--great setup!! I can taste that cold smoked salmon just looking at your rig! I just pulled 8 racks of hot smoked salmon strips out late last night. Couldn't help try some, and of course had to have some beer with that.... Well, the coffee tastes good this am.[;)]
 Do you brine or dry salt for your cold smoke cure? Good question re including a picture--I'd like to know how too--maybe someone like Olds who is more techno minded can help us.
Tom

Kummok

You're right TSquared, Olds is da man.....Here's what I got from hime when I asked last week...

"First your pictures have to be uploaded to the net on someone's server. After they are then it is only a matter of linking the address of them and placing that address between the image codes. For example:

If you don't have a place to upload I understand the photobucket offers free space. If you only have a few from time to time you want to post then E-mail them to me. I will host them for you and E-mail back the codes and address for you. All you will have to do then is copy and paste it into your posting."

Hope this helps!! Gotta go ice fishing now.....anyone got any good ice smoking recipes in case I catch some??[:o)]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

jaeger

Smokin Man,
  That is one "Smokin" box. It looks like you plan on doing plenty of cold smoking. Could you give an example of how you dry cure salmon. Time and anything else. Any cook time at all on on this item?

Doug

SmokinMan

Dry cured 20 h with coarse salt, little bit of sugar and black pepper.
I the dried it in fridge about 3 h and smoked 3 h at 70-80F.  That's max to where BS reached w/ outside temp around 55F.
I am not totally happy with results and next time I try my proven wet cure (50/50 salt and sugar)
for 12 hours and I will partially wrap the smoke duct with insulation to keep temp full time at 80F.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMan</i>
<br />Dry cured 20 h with coarse salt, little bit of sugar and black pepper.
I the dried it in fridge about 3 h and smoked 3 h at 70-80F.  That's max to where BS reached w/ outside temp around 55F.
I am not totally happy with results and next time I try my proven wet cure (50/50 salt and sugar)
for 12 hours and I will partially wrap the smoke duct with insulation to keep temp full time at 80F.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
did you soak the fish in water to refreash it before smoking?

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991

SmokinMan

I did not since I have been using my modified Big Chief w/ wet brining  for cold smoked salmon and have done dry curing
only when making "Graxlax" and this one you would never soak after curing.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

have you tried this recipe? http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=141
i do about 20 to 25  # evry 2 weeks for a local restuant, it is the best i ever had, it seem like a big todo, but if you time it right, on sat i start the dry brine at noon and at 8pm into the wet brine, up at 6 am sunday, by 9am into the smoker

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991

tsquared

Jaeger-Here is a link that I put up for dry cure for salmon.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=928
I've done it this way for years (in homemade smokers, not a Bradley) and just started to do it in a Bradley, with similar adaptations as smokinman's for cold smoking. I am going to try Spyguy's brine recipe next batch of cold smoke just for something different and see how it compares. Most commercial smoking places do not use a wet brine for cold smoke salmon because the salmon does not lose the required moisture when it is in the wet brine, thus extending the time needed to dry it enough. In the process I use, you do not freshen the fillets when they come off the dry salt,just wipe them off. You do have to pay attention to the thickness of the fillets and put a varying thickness of salt on. The other variable is how fat your salmon are. If they are fatty(king, sockeye, some silvers) then you need to extend the salt times somewhat.
I'm glad to help answer any questions as this is an area where I've had some experience, Doug. I was a commercial salmon fisherman here in British Columbia for years.
Tom

jaeger

Smokin Man and Tom,

Thanks for the info. I plan on trying this project soon. I will let you know the results...(or any more questions before I start)

Doug