Too Hot, Way Too Hot

Started by SmokinMan, January 25, 2005, 05:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

smokinman
Nice box, have you had any bad luck from it, as i was reading some articles on here aboout bacteria and plywood. I was wanting to make one but wanted to see how yours has been doing or is there anything that you would modify now that you have been doing it. I see that Jaeger is alos doing some work with one. Have you heard any results.
Well Thanks for all the info. appreciate anything further you can tell me.
Harpo

SmokinMan

How can bacteria enter to my box?
From the burned ashes of the pucks? I doubt.
There is no food in the smoke box.

jaeger

Smokin Man,
I wouldn't worry about it. I have never heard of bacteria traveling on smoke. By the way, that is one nice set up you have. I am still using cardboard but I think one day I may have to upgrade. My family just loves smoked cheese. Here is a picture of my contraption.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/xcelsmoke/ColdSmoke.jpg

I would probably get better use of the smoke with a little smaller smoke box.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Habanero Smoker

I posted the following on another thread. Thought it may be useful here.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />As Jaeger stated in another thread http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070&whichpage=2 , I would not be concerned. I suggested you read through the thread ( http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7 ) just to be informed about the discussion at the time. I have not reread the entire thread in a while, but I believe the concern was the moisture produced by burning the bisquettes in combination with the plywood (which could be a food source), could be an environment for bacteria to grow.

My own personal opinion, I don't feel that a smoke box would be environmentally friendly for bacteria. Smoke is a very effective anti-bacterial and bacteria could not survive in a cold smoke box. If you design your box like Smokinman, so that you can open up the side and let it dry out thoroughly after use; that would eliminate moisture issue. I am planning on building one myself.

Also, I agree with Jaeger, that the box does not have to be as big as the one SmokinMan built. Smokinman has a good design, but I would use a thinner plywood, or better yet 1/2" hardwood - much lighter to lug around.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Harpo

Smokin Man
I was not being critical about the box you built, I hope you did not misunderstand my question to you.
I am very much in favor of your idea and started to make plans to build one. When Iasked someone yesterday for the link to the one I saw they mailed me another link which questioned it. The article was from 2/04 www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic/.asp/topicID=7 aperson by the way of cheap thrills built it and some of the others on here questioned about the bacteria. I was only asking if there is a problem, I think its great all the people on here with there own ideas and inventions, again I meant no disrespect, was being courious. I was trying to find the old milk boxes that used to sit on peoples porches to do the same thing but by turing on side would already have a door, and its galvanized, its light weight and then I seen yours and liked it.
Anyways enough rambliong from my end, just keep up the good work, as I have got some nice ideas and helpful tips from all you members.
Harpo  

Chez Bubba

OK, I know little in this arena compared to most of you, but I have 2 questions that I have to ask. Shooting them down is fine, but please be kind enough not to refer to me as a dumbass![:D]

SmokinMan, are you in any way concerned that the yuckies in the resins that bond the plywood together might be transmitted to the food?

Harpo, from what I've read, galvanized + any remote contact with food = bad. Would that change in your proposed setup?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Harpo

Chez Bubba

Yes it would. I won't be using galvanized, I see that you are very knowledgable about smoking foods and the BS product, I appreciate you getting back to me about those pucks, my brother did make me 2 more as you suggested, and if not for him I would have bought them with you. I am planning on checking more on your site because there are a few things I need to get like a thermometer, a cover, and I can't ecall the third but I will be in touch. Also do you think that making a box like smokin man made and then lining it with the thick aluminum from those rectangular shaped pans that are disposable. I was thinking of building one smaller than smokin man but lining it so it would be easy to wipe out. Just couriuos, also have read the other threads that you and others recommended on here. As I mentioned before you guys are a big help in this field of smoking. I have done some in other machine and like the BS the best, my stepfather had purchased a pressure smoker and I don't think the smoke is as good. Have a Great night and thanks for all of your suggestions.[:)][:D][8D]
Harpo

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harpo</i>
<br />Also do you think that making a box like smokin man made and then lining it with the thick aluminum from those rectangular shaped pans that are disposable.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That idea intrigues me and seems to make more sense. I would suppose you would have to line the boards before screwing them together so that you get a good seal. Or maybe use a food-grade silicone sealant after the fact.

Or maybe this is all overkill. I'll wait for SmokinMan's reply before making up my mind.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

The box SmokinMan build it excellent. I've got to say that at this point unless the box was built about of pressure treated wood I would no longer worry about off gasing from any glues. That box is not going to get hot enough to start with anyway. A couple good coats of smoke and it is sealed anyway. Remember that smoke is oiley and then it tars out. I will not call it 100% a vapor (gas) barrier, but I would not be surprize if it was not.

Last week in a used appliance store I saw a used personal refrig. not that much bigger than SmokinMan's box for $45.00. Just an idea.

Just take one of those addon collars for homemade smokers Chez sells and you are good to go!

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

the trick to a cold smoker box, is to have it as thin as you can so it wont hold any heat , if you build a box out of plywood then line it with aluminum then it will hold even more heat and up the pipe it goes into the bradley. you can make a box out of aluminum  or stainless, keep it as thin as you can, it dont even need a door, just  make a box with no bottom . you dont need  to weld it together . you can build it just like a fish aquarium , just some angle trim and some silicone.

SmokinMan

"as thin as you can so it wont hold any heat" is a matter of opinion.
When it was 35 F outside it took about 5 h to get 80 F inside the smoker.
Too much heat loss in the box and the pipe (in it's shortest position) so I did purchase insulation tape to wrap the pipe but had no opportunity to test it again.
If my exterior grage plywood detoriates or shows any fungus etc. it will take he whole 2 hours to cut new pieces, line them with aluminium flashing and screw it together.

manxman

Oldman posted:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I've got to say that at this point unless the box was built about of pressure treated wood I would no longer worry about off gasing from any glues. That box is not going to get hot enough to start with anyway. A couple good coats of smoke and it is sealed anyway. Remember that smoke is oiley and then it tars out <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I would agree with Oldman's comment on a plywood box on this but for me I am still on the first cardboard box I started using a few months ago and when it gets too grotty I will throw it away and get a new one!

Would it not be worth Bradley manufacturing a cold smoking accessory kit with a box based on one or other (or both) version of the smoker itself together with a hose? I for one would go with that and it sounds like quite a few others would too.

One benefit of a SS BS is that it will reflect more heat than the standard version from the sun on a hot day so perhaps gives some benefit when cold smoking.

I think the important thing is to actually use a separate box of some sort when cold smoking, notwithstanding Chez's comments about galvanised metal but to me wood, cardboard or an old small fridge all make reasonable alternatives.

I feel this is a safer option from a food hygiene point of view than using just ice in the BS box itself, although ice and a separate box may be of use on the hottest of days some of you guys and gals talk about!![:D][:D]

Sadly very rarely gets that hot where I am!![:(]

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sadly very rarely gets that hot where I am!!
[:(]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Smilingly, very rarely does it get <b>cold</b> where I am!! It is already 78F in the shade today @11.30 am. Personally I'm not into that much "cold" smoking other than a ham or two.

However, a kit where the generator connects to the "box" and an adapter on the Bradley to easily accept the vent hose, while it might be a limited item for most smokers, it is one more item and reason to go with a Bradley unit over other types of smokers.

One point I must bring up is I believe this would be a very limited item in the way of sales. As such the cost of it, when you figure in everything else is not going to be cheap.

Next, the reason most folks would want this box, as I understand it, is to keep the heat generated by the smoking process from getting to the smoking chamber itself.  As such the best metal I know of for heat displacement is aluminum. Stainless Steel does not displace engergy evenly. That is why on your better SS cookware there is a alumuim bottom that is bonded to the SS bottom. Otherwise you would end up with hot spots.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

Oldman posted:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> One point I must bring up is I believe this would be a very limited item in the way of sales. As such the cost of it, when you figure in everything else is not going to be cheap. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, you are probably right in terms of commercial viability, think I will just stick to my cardboard box.[:)][:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Smilingly, very rarely does it get cold where I am!! It is already 78F in the shade today @11.30 am. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mmmmm .... just a touch jealous!! [:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Skootch

Question for SmokinMan (or anyone else that can help):

I just ordered the Bradley Smoke Generator to be used with my homemade smoker for cold-smoking my sausages.  I am hoping to build a plywood box similar to yours ahead of time so that I can get back to cold-smoking as soon as the generator arrives.  My questions are:

1:  What are the dimensions of this plywood box?  I was thinking about 21"x21"x21", would that be big enough?

2:  The side of the plywood box that the generator mounts to, what is the measurement from the bottom of the plywood box to the center of the 4" hole (again, I assume it needs a 4" hole, if not what size?) that needs to be cut?  I would like the bottom of the generator to sit flush to the floor, the same as the plywood box.

3:  What are the exact dimensions of the Bradley bisquettes?  (I have a friend with a CNC shop and lots of aluminum to make me a couple of "pusher pucks").  

Thanks for any help you can provide.  I hope to provide some tasty sausage recipes soon, if anyone is interested.  I specialize in German dry-cured stuff, like Landjaegers, etc.