Newb with a Newb ?

Started by yamwarrior, April 18, 2009, 04:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamwarrior

Hi guys, well it finally happened...I've been "hiding" on this site for a long time, checking out all your recipes, just wishing I could buy a Bradley. I got sick of my Smoke Hollow smoker that even when set on Low, could melt an engine block...so I sold it. I got extremely lucky and found a guy that was selling his Stainless Steel Bradley on Craigslist, the only reason he was selling it is because he was moving. I scored it for $175. I also bought a Auber PID, Maverick, and 3 Bubba Pucks so I'm ready to go!! Now that I bought the Bradley I feel like I earned the right to join the site  ;)

I think for my 1st smoke I would like to try a pork butt. I've checked out some recipes and pretty much have a grasp on what needs to be done except the whole timing part. It sounds like these things could take quite awhile. So what time do you guys start smoking stuff if you want to eat it for dinner the next day? Or do you guys do it a day ahead of time and just reheat it for dinner? Is this something that I will have to start in the middle of the night so it can cook through till the afternoon and have time to FTC before dinner time?? I just wasn't sure how safe it is leaving the smoker unattended at night while I'm in bed. I was just hoping you guys could shed some light on this, I don't want the Bradley turning me into an insomniac out smoking ABT's and Fatties at 3am...I want my 1st smoke to turn out good. By the way I tried Nickld's jerky recipe...it was great, I added a little molasses to sweeten it up a bit.

Thanks guys,
Ben

Tenpoint5

First off Welcome Aboard!!

I don't want the Bradley turning me into an insomniac out smoking ABT's and Fatties at 3am..  AHH Whats wrong with that????? As for the timing IMHO Your chunk of Butt is going to tell you when its ready. I don't like to get up in the middle of the night if I'm sleeping so I usually start my Butts at 4 or 5 am and when its done I put it in a roaster pan shredded. then reheat the next day with a splash of Apple/Raspberry Juice in a crock pot.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  You and everyone automatically has a right to be on this forum whether you own a Bradley, some other unit, or do not own anything.  All are welcome here.

Most things prepared in the Bradley, and especially large chunks of meat like butts and brisket, get done when they get done.  Patience is absolutely required to properly smoke a meal in the Bradley.

The average bone in butt takes me approximately 18 to 24 hours to cook in the Bradley at a cabinet temp averaging 205, and allowing the meat to reach 180 to 190.  I normally start smoking the evening before (4 hours before bed time).  I smoke for 4 hours, change the water in the bowl, spray with apple juice, and then simply allow the beast to continue cooking.  I have a PID so it pretty much maintains the temp I want.

You indicated that you had the Maverick - when you set the temp alarms on it, you can safely go to bed with the alarm next to you as long as you are in range.

Do not worry about FTC on butts.  I only do so if I need to delay dinner.  After the butt reaches your desired temp, simply spray with apple juice, wrap in foil and let it rest on the counter for awhile (1 to 3 hours) until it cools enough for you to handle without too much pain.

If you sleep while the smoker is on, just take some common sense precautions, i.e. make sure you have fresh water in the bowl, the vent open at least 2/3, place the smoker away from the side of the house so that if it were to catch fire (very unlikely) then it will not catch the house on fire as well.

I normally sleep on a couch that is near the window that I can see the smoker from.  With the curtain open, I can see the smoker anytime that I open my eyes, and I have the Maverick to let me know if the meat or cabinet temps climb or fall too much.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Welcome to the forum YamWarrior!

I pretty much do my butts like WildCat does.... I just gotta ask though... with a name like YamWarrior are you a walleye fisherman?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Mr Walleye on April 18, 2009, 05:21:47 PM
Welcome to the forum YamWarrior!

I pretty much do my butts like WildCat does.... I just gotta ask though... with a name like YamWarrior are you a walleye fisherman?

Mike

Better than the "Green Carp" guys huh Mike?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

For Butts, it really depends on your schedule. For a big load that I know will need 16 hours or so I will put them in at say, 5:30 pm and after 4 hours of smoke, change out the water bowl before bed and continue
the next day confident that my stuff will be ready by noon or so. Sometimes I vac seal with sauce after it is completely cooled for taking to work for a crowd the following day, heating in a couple of large oval crock pots. Some have said that is is better after being vac sealed with sauce then a fresh pull right out of the FTC. Just gotta see what works for you.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with the others that it is done when it is done. I do may butts ahead of time, and then reheat. There is nothing more vicious the a hungry guest. You would think a hungry guest would appreciate the food more, but I haven't experienced that.  :)

I don't take mine as high of an internal temperature. I found that if you are using a cabinet temperature of 200°F - 210°F, you can take them out of the smoker at 175°F, and start pulling after about 45 minutes to an hour rest.

When you get a few butts under your belt (no pun intended) try the 175°F temperature. This also requires that you trim the butt to at least 1/4 inch of fat, but 1/8 inch is better. A good indicator of when it is done is to use a large two tine fork. Insert it into the butt and twist. If it pulls apart fairly easy, then it is done, not matter what the internal temperature is.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

yamwarrior

Thanks for the tips! Looks like this will be a weekend project, so I can take my time and do it right. To answer Mr. Walleye's question...I came up with the username Yamwarrior, because I ride a Yamaha Warrior crusier bike. Although I am an avid walleye fisherman  ;)  I do a lot of ice fishing here in Wisconsin, and there isn't much better than a cold water walleye fillet!!!! YUM  YUM
I can't wait to smoke something with this thing. Don't worry, I know you guys like pics with posts, so when I get the chance to use the Bradley I'll take some snap shots.

Thanks again,
Ben

Brisket Lover

I did two butts last week and out of all the ones I did I would say this was my least favorite.  I pulled it at 176 and while the fork twist was there, the internal meat was too hammy still.  I ended up putting the left overs in the crock pot today and let it cook on low for about 6 hours.  It came out a lot better this time.

I made a number of mistakes but it still came out ok. It was also my first bone-in so maybe that had something to do with it.  Biggest mistake was I didn't let the internal temp of the meat get warm enough before putting it into the smoker.  It was frozen and I took it out of the freezer on Saturday night and into the fridge.  I figured by Wednesday night it would be ready, but I was wrong.  It was still 33-34 degrees in the center.  I smoked for 4 hours between 200-220 and then into the house oven at 200 degrees for about 9 hours.

I was making it for my family and I couldn't wait an extra day so I did rush it, and you can't rush a good smoke.  As for sleeping while it is in there I usually move it to the oven before bed.  Makes the house smell great in the morning!

smokeitall

Quote from: yamwarrior on April 19, 2009, 02:41:44 PM
Thanks for the tips! Looks like this will be a weekend project, so I can take my time and do it right. To answer Mr. Walleye's question...I came up with the username Yamwarrior, because I ride a Yamaha Warrior crusier bike. Although I am an avid walleye fisherman  ;)  I do a lot of ice fishing here in Wisconsin, and there isn't much better than a cold water walleye fillet!!!! YUM  YUM
I can't wait to smoke something with this thing. Don't worry, I know you guys like pics with posts, so when I get the chance to use the Bradley I'll take some snap shots.

Thanks again,
Ben

Welcome YamWarrior, where abouts in WI you from?  I grew up in Kenosha, spent a lot of time in northern WI.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Brisket Lover on April 19, 2009, 06:26:21 PM
I did two butts last week and out of all the ones I did I would say this was my least favorite.  I pulled it at 176 and while the fork twist was there, the internal meat was too hammy still.  I ended up putting the left overs in the crock pot today and let it cook on low for about 6 hours.  It came out a lot better this time.

I made a number of mistakes but it still came out ok. It was also my first bone-in so maybe that had something to do with it.  Biggest mistake was I didn't let the internal temp of the meat get warm enough before putting it into the smoker.  It was frozen and I took it out of the freezer on Saturday night and into the fridge.  I figured by Wednesday night it would be ready, but I was wrong.  It was still 33-34 degrees in the center.  I smoked for 4 hours between 200-220 and then into the house oven at 200 degrees for about 9 hours.

I was making it for my family and I couldn't wait an extra day so I did rush it, and you can't rush a good smoke.  As for sleeping while it is in there I usually move it to the oven before bed.  Makes the house smell great in the morning!

I've never had a problem with pulling it at 175°F, and I know TT also pulls his at that temperature. What does "too hammy" mean?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I have pulled at 175 myself with no problems. As a general rule, mine get up to 180+ before I notice that it is done.  I always set the Maverick to alarm at 190 as the maximum temp that I want in case I forget to check on it while doing other things like taking a nap after a few cold ones. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smokeitall

I always take mine to 190 and FTC for 4 hours.  I usually start in the morning around 9 or 10 in the smoker for 12 hours (4 hours smoke) and then move to the oven overnight for another 10-12 hours at 205-210.  Never had a problem and always taste great.

pfowl01

I take mine to 195deg IT and then FTC for a couple of hours.....always great ;D

Qballgreg

I'm a newb also....FTC is what?