Newb with a Newb ?

Started by yamwarrior, April 18, 2009, 04:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Foil, Towel , Cooler
Usually I leave a roast in the cooker several hours.

Lumpy

yamwarrior

Sounds good!!! I got my guidelines for the butt. Also Smokeitall...I live in Madison, but go to Kenosha a few times a year with one of my buddies who grew up there. The main reason we go there is to eat at The Spot. For all of you who don't know what The Spot is, it's a drive up resturant that serves up some KILLER greasy burgers, steak sandwiches, cheese squares, breaded mushrooms, ice cream, floats, and a hell of a banana split. You just sit in your car, they bring you out your stuff and you proceed to gorge yourself on bad for you food. I usually build up quite an appetite when we go there   ;D  Honest to God truth we even drove in a blizzard to get there. Probably stupid, but definetly worth it

smokeitall

Quote from: yamwarrior on April 20, 2009, 06:13:18 PM
Sounds good!!! I got my guidelines for the butt. Also Smokeitall...I live in Madison, but go to Kenosha a few times a year with one of my buddies who grew up there. The main reason we go there is to eat at The Spot. For all of you who don't know what The Spot is, it's a drive up resturant that serves up some KILLER greasy burgers, steak sandwiches, cheese squares, breaded mushrooms, ice cream, floats, and a hell of a banana split. You just sit in your car, they bring you out your stuff and you proceed to gorge yourself on bad for you food. I usually build up quite an appetite when we go there   ;D  Honest to God truth we even drove in a blizzard to get there. Probably stupid, but definetly worth it

That is pretty funny about "The Spot"...I used to work there when I was in high school, I was a cook.  And yes I agree it is worth the drive, they have great food.  I was just in Kenosha Easter and I heard that the spot might close  :(  The one on the north side of Kenosha already did.  And if any of you visit there make sure you get a gallon of root beer to go, they have some of the best root beer ever.

Gizmo

If you ever get down south of there, try the Silo in Lake Bluff Ill.  The best Chicago Style Pan Pizza ever.  That memory has been with me for 32 years.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I put mine in around 7-9 pm the day before. I get up at some point and empty / refill the water bowl. In the morning I transfer to the oven.

I've done 60+ lbs of pork butt in the last 2 weekends.

I took the last batch to 195-200F. FTC'd for 4 hours.

They were perfect.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

Quote from: Wildcat on April 20, 2009, 06:38:39 AM
I have pulled at 175 myself with no problems. As a general rule, mine get up to 180+ before I notice that it is done.  I always set the Maverick to alarm at 190 as the maximum temp that I want in case I forget to check on it while doing other things like taking a nap after a few cold ones. ;D

Just that instead of pull apart it was slice able.  Mine started off bad so Im sure the other things were the problem not the IT.

Wildcat

It is difficult to tell sometimes.  You will probably find over time that if you cook above 210 cabinet temp, then it is better to cook to a meat temp of 190. Below 210 (especially around 200) you can cook to 175 with similiar results.  I could be that your cooking temp was higher than you thought.  Besides, sliced port is good too.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

bigcatdaddy

I run mine with a CT of 215 and a IT of 185.  It's really hard to mess them up.  They are pretty forgiving!

BCD

Brisket Lover

Ya I agree, even though this one was the worst I have made it was far from bad.  I just know now to allow around 5-7 days to thaw out instead of 3-5.

NePaSmoKer

I do mine @180* smoke with 7 pucks then bump to 225* until the meat skips back from the bone about 3/4"-1", slap some CarloniaTreet on em, foil then back in and hold at 160* for another hour. Fall apart ribbies  ;D

If i'm in a hurry i put CaroinaTreet on em put in Traeger with pecan @225*  ;D

nepas