OK... Which one do I get?

Started by SemperFiPhil, April 19, 2009, 08:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFiPhil

Hello all.  I am getting ready to get a Bradley Smoker in the next day or so and have one question.  Which Bradley do I get?  Should I get the digital or the original?  ???  I have heard that the original will do all my smoking but is a basic smoker.  I have also heard of many of the advantages of the digital model, however, I have heard that the digital model has problems, like having to be rest after 10 hours and problems with the electronics.  I really want one of the "bad boys" however I do not want to ruin my experience with spending the money and not being pleased with my choice.  If it helps any... what I am looking to smoke the most would be chicken, cornish hen, ribs, pork butt and brisket (not to mention, I really want to try a fatty).  Thanks a lot all. 

Happy smokin'! ;D

Up In Smoke

phil,
i own the 4 rack OBS, i have had it for 3 or 4 years and really no problems to speak of.
sure it doesn't look as cool (i love gadgets with buttons-n-stuff) but i just cannot bring myself to upgrade...
recently added a pid controller....so i guess in essence i have a digital now, i guess the only difference would
be that i can program several times and temps.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

DrtiBird

Phil,
I bought the DBS6 back in October, no probs yet.  Like Up in Smoke, I too like gadgets, and I wanted room for expansion so I got the 6 rack.  I found a good buy on ebay; after discounts it was $400 shipped (gotta watch those shipping charges).

I think either one will do what you want. 

When you order your Bradley, go to http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Bisquettes&x=15&y=20
and get a good supply & variety of bisquettes.

Good Luck!
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Phil!

I agree you can't go wrong with either unit.....I run an OBS with a pid built from the plans on the receipe site and love it!  Once again either way you go your gonna make some awesome food!
C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

I faced that decision initially.  I went with the OBS in stainless and later added the PID for a lot less money.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Up In Smoke

addition to previous post,
i work at a ford dealership in the service department,
as a technician i see a lot of F150 trucks in for service for various reasons.
this does not mean that it is a bad truck but that there are thousands on the road
some are bound to have problems be it factory defects or negligence.
same with the Bradley...if you look at the membership here there are over 5000 members
someone somewhere is bound to have problems.albeit in minimal numbers.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

spider spartan

Recently purchased an OBS and I love it if that helps

jha1223

I just bought my Bradley within the month. I joined the site about that time.  We went to Cabela's to get it and they didn't have the OBS at the store.  My wife (gotta love her) suggested I just get the digital so I didn't have to wait.  I, however, didn't want to spend the extra money if I wasn't sure I was going to use it.  I went ahead and ordered the OBS and waited for it.  I can't speak of for the digital, but I can tell you this - the food coming out of the OBS has been painless and just amazing.  Either way you'll be pleased!
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

oldsmoker

PHIL I HAVE THEM BOTH AND ALL I CAN SAY AS LONG AS IT IS A bradley YOU WILL LOVE IT. GREAT RESULTS. JUST MAKE YOU PICK UP A PID WORKS GREAT FOR YOUR TEMPS. 
OLDSMOKER

josbocc

Phil,

Bought my DBS6 last July.  Just like some other folks, I experienced wide temperature variations from what the Smoke Generator said, and what my Maverick was reading.  That's when I invested in the Auber PID.  Everything is working great now.  Love the unit.

In retrospect, if I knew back then what I know now..., I would have gone with an OBS and the PID.  The digital is nice, but with the PID, it's like overkill. 

Best of Luck,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

SemperFiPhil

Thanks all for the replies.  I bought the DBS 8 days ago and am very pleased with it.  Did babybacks last weekend... Gonna do some mini-fatties today (insiped by PJ's Hoagies) and maybe some bacon wrapped chicken breasts.  For me, it was not about the price as much as if I really needed all that flexability with the digital.  My wife found the perfect table for it at a thrift store for just a fews bucks so now I don't have to lay on the ground to set and read the digital display.  LOL

Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there and keep on smokin'!