New to the Forum, new to smoking and seeking advice.

Started by brit guy, April 22, 2009, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brit guy

Hello all,

I have just discovered this site last week and find it to be full of great information and help.  Firstly let me give a little info on myself.  I am from the UK but have been living in Canada for the last two years, and have found a new love for the great outdoors.  When it comes to cooking outdoors, needless to say it is not in the genetics of us Brits.  For example BBQ'ing for us involves a simple process. 

1.  Set fire to charcoal......wait until temperatures are similar to the Sun's surface.
2.  Apply required meat to BBQ.
3.  Incinerate side A
4.  Flip meat.
5.  Incinerate side B.
6.  Remove Carbon Block (meat) and place in a bun.
7.  Eat rock hard carbon crusted shell and enjoy the raw centre and praying not to get food poisoning!!!  All of course in the rain.

Mention smoking and you must be talking about Cuban's and Marlboro.

To cut a long story short a friend introduced me to Jerky and I was hooked.  I got my digital 4 Rack about 18 months ago but was initially scared to even try it.  I made my first Jerky after a particularly successful day Duck and Goose hunting and never looked back.  I have been very pleased with my results, making muscle meat jerky from duck, goose, buffalo, beef and venison.  I have also tried to smoke some fish which turned out OK both Hot and Cold smoked.  That however is about as far as I have got. 

I guess the advice I seek is what would you recommend to try next.  As I am totally new to this something simple would be ideal but I look you experts for guidance.  I am just about to try making some snaking sticks but I need to break out up to the next level.

Lastly just some advice on Jerky.  I have always made my jerky slowly at about 66c or 150F over about 6 hours and I used this method as it was given in the Bradley recipe Collection.  I use the HM kits but in there it recommends to make jerky at higher temps but much quicker.  Which is best and what method would you go far.  Regarding Snacking sticks, would you add to the meat anything else to boost volume or just stick to the instructions.  The reason I ask these questions is that there is so much goodinfo on this forum that as a beginner I will probably not find it in another topic until I can find my way around.

I look forward to hearing any advice you kindly offer and hopefully one day maybe contributing some good info myself.

Kindest regards

Brit Guy

Mr Walleye

Hi Brit Guy and welcome to the forum. I'm a fellow Canuck too.

LMAO about your description of BBQ in the UK!  :D

Your process on your jerky looks good. I typically use about 1 hour and 20 minutes smoke on my jerky then move it to my Cabelas 80L Dehydrator to finish. Prior to having the dehydrator I used a very similar process that you are using in the DBS. I always found if I tried to sneak the temps higher it tended to "cook" the meat as opposed to "drying" it.

There's lots of great snack stick recipes floating around the forum. You could use a prepackaged kit to try to start with. If you are going to get into making sausage I would highly recommend getting the book called Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. Best place to buy the book here in Canada is at Amazon.ca It's considered the Bible of sausage making. Here's a link to where I used one of his recipes for snack sticks.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6866.0

For fish, if you haven't made Kummok's Salmon yet it's a must try. It is spectacular. Here's a link to a batch I made.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8574.0

Here is Kummok's recipe from over on the recipe site.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=121#post121

Also, if you haven't discovered the recipe site yet just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post. Lots of great stuff there from all the fine folks around the forum.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

Go for ribs or pork butt/pulled pork.  You might also try cold-smoking cheese or steaks (to grill afterward), but for my money the butt & ribs probably make better use of the smoker than any other cuts (and you'll have room for a fatty or two on the side).  After that, go for chicken and brisket and whatever else catches your fancy.

Lots of recipes for these and other dishes here on the forum and on the recipe site.  Read up, experiment, and have a ball (but remember, if you don't post pictures, it didn't happen).  If you run into problems, someone on the forum will be glad to help you (but it won't be me for the next two weeks - I'm off to New Orleans and leaving my computer addiction at home).

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  Try it all (except liver).  Seafood is wonderful smoked.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

I have a few Brit friends with the BBQ tactics that you described, and have converted a few. No rush cooks, when it's done, it's done. Yes it takes some prep time, but the results are worth the effort.
I got my Brit friends hooked on Peameal Bacon done in the Bradley and they love it! Take it as far as you wish to go Sausages, Jerky, Bacon or whatever. It's all here and on the recipe sight. Help is very quickly responded to. Just have fun with it!

Caneyscud

Welcome to the site Britguy!  and to the correct side of the Atlantic! 

Smoking is an addictive and delicious hobby in addition to being a way to feed the family.  A smoker is particularly suited to butts, ribs, roasts, and brisket - all low and slow - but made stress free and with less hassle with the Bradley.  It is also good with chicken and seafood.   

As tempting as the ribs would be, it would be hard for me not to try the butt next - forgiving, but tasty.  With the smaller boneless cuts, it won't take so long, but you will get all the techniques needed for the bigger pieces such as the brisket. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

manxman

Quote1.  Set fire to charcoal......wait until temperatures are similar to the Sun's surface.
2.  Apply required meat to BBQ.
3.  Incinerate side A
4.  Flip meat.
5.  Incinerate side B.
6.  Remove Carbon Block (meat) and place in a bun.
7.  Eat rock hard carbon crusted shell and enjoy the raw centre and praying not to get food poisoning!!!  All of course in the rain.

Such a good description Britguy......... scary but true all too often. Welcome to the forum.  :)

Manxman

bigcatdaddy

Welcome to the Forums!!!!!  There is a ton of knowedge and info all right here, so sit down and settle in and enjoy.

BCD

seemore