Beginner question...

Started by Qballgreg, April 22, 2009, 04:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qballgreg

Received my smoker yesterday...assembled and commenced to 'season' with some apple bisquettes...I dropped 4 bisquettes, then 2 Bubba Pucks, and then 1 apple into the tower.  Loaded the 1st bisquette into the tray and started the heat....instructions said that it would take 10 minutes to hit 150 degrees...actually took a little longer, no problem...smoking started a little later.  I let it smoke for about an hour and shut it off.  When cleaning out the bisquette tray I discovered 2 had burnt, the 3rd..very slightly.....Should I have 'loaded' more than the 1st into the tray at the beginning?  Perhaps this was the reason it took longer to start to smoke and burnt 1 less bisquette than I expected? 
Also, when unloading the bisquettes...do you 'advance' them thru or just dig them out, like I did....do the Bubba Pucks advance thru onto the tray also or do they stop the process?

sherlock

Welcome to our world - Remember, smoking is addictive.................

Unless there is a malfunction, I

think

you may have had the timer set for too short a period and the 3rd puck was not on the hot plate long enough. Anyway, I am sure some will come along with a more positive reason .

8)

This info is from someone who can't even remove the underline from everything after think.

NePaSmoKer

Qball

What you should have done is flipped the switch to on, load 6-8 wood pucks into the tube followed by your bubba pucks. The smoke generator would cycle all the wood for seasoning then cycle your bubba pucks through to push off the burnt pucks into the water pan.

Is your smoker the Original black or Digital?  If digital you should have set the time for at least 3 hours (9 pucks worth) Most of use use 3 to 4 bubba pucks to cycle the wood from the heat slider.

Hope this helps some and Welcome to the forum

nepas

Qballgreg

Original Black...not digital...so the Bubba Pucks will ultimately cycle through and into the pan?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Qballgreg on April 22, 2009, 06:35:40 AM
Original Black...not digital...so the Bubba Pucks will ultimately cycle through and into the pan?

Yes just like the wood.

If you only have 2 bubba pucks they will only push so far past the operating range of the push arm, If you have 3 or more they will push just like the wood.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Hi Qball

Ok... most people use 3 bubba pucks.... this way when you smoke portion is complete there is 2 bubba pucks on the shoot and 1 one the burner (none in the water bowl). The reason you want a bubba puck on the burner when the smoke portion is complete is because... the last puck will be extinguished at the correct time... and the heat being applied to the bubba puck will help in burning off any remnants of the wood pucks. This can be accomplished using 2 bubba pucks followed by a wood puck as well.

As far as your unburnt puck goes it looks like you didn't preheat the smoke generator... usually you want to preheat your smoker and the smoke generator for a minimum of 30 minutes and preferably an hour. The reason you preheat the smoke generator is so this exact problem does not occur. If the smoke generator's burner is not preheated and you advance a puck onto it will not be completely burnt by the time it gets cycled into the bowl.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Qballgreg