Need maiden voyage recommendation

Started by Qballgreg, April 22, 2009, 06:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qballgreg

Okay...here is the situation...my wife has invited 3 couples over for dinner Saturday evening as I have a new Bradley Smoker.  I have ONLY seasoned it at this point, so I am now under the gun for a dinner for 8 with no experience on the smoker.  What would you all recommend that I smoke...it cannot be fish as one person does not eat fish....SO...in the categories of pork, chicken or beef...what is a safe bet so I don't embarass myself and the Bradley Smoker?  Prime Rib?  Pork Ribs?  Chicken?  Beef Brisket?  Anything else?
I am looking for some good input, as this board has been very helpful so far.....

La Quinta

I'd go with Cornish hens...chicken like stuff... is really easy for a first try...you could do 4? If they are big eaters do 8. Would be fairly quick smoking time...do some stuffing or rice pilaf in the oven/stove...a lovely little veggie dish...like a broccoli/califlower au gratin...little white wine...maybe a pound cake with fresh berry puree for dessert? I don't know...I could go on for hours!!!  ;D

Anyhoo...for a first time...chicken/hens are easy...pork takes some time to get a feel for...heck you could do turkey too...(don't know what kinda time frame you have) but...look I am going on for hours... :D  :D

Smokin Soon

Not too sure on that one, I had somewhat of a learning curve myself with the Bradley in the early stages, and in no way would I have promised guests food at a certain time before I established some basics
to go by. If you want to play it on the safe side throw a couple of butts in on Friday night.

Wildcat

Unless you have experience with ribs, I would stay away from them as a first smoke with guests.  Ribs can sometimes be a little tricky.  Pulled pork takes a long time but is very easy and forgiving.  There is a chicken wrap on the Recipe site that is great and easy.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Up In Smoke

Bacon wrapped chicken breasts from the recipe site are way  8) 8) 8)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ka Honu

Quote from: La Quinta on April 22, 2009, 06:50:21 PM
I'd go with Cornish hens... do some stuffing or rice pilaf... a lovely little veggie dish... little white wine...

Ahhh, TLLQ (The Lovely La Quinta - I'm sucking up big here) validates my memories of back in the day, when Cornish hens with rice pilaf, veggie, and wine (although we thought Mateus was quality stuff in those days) was the one meal that every bachelor learned how to make if he wanted to impress (nice euphemism that) some sweet young thing.

La Quinta

Dude Ka Honu...the guy hasn't smoked yet in the Bradley...company is coming...go simple and nice...little smoke...see if your guests like it...then work up to the bigger cuts...

Qball trust me on this one...don't go pork...you'll keep opening the box to see if it's done...the hens are a 2 hour relaxing smoke for your first time...use whatever wood you feel comfy with...and your wife won't be freaking out if you try a 12-16 hour pork butt...I'd whack my hubby if he tried it!!!  ;D

Habanero Smoker

You don't want to mess up your first trial. If you mess that up, you will never convince your wife to allow you to purchase accessories. :)

The safest bet for the first time is to get enough 1 - 1.5 inch thick NY strip steaks, cold smoke them the day before with 40 minutes of either oak or pecan. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate. The next day season and grill or fry the way each individual likes their steak.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Qballgreg

I like the ideas...keep them coming...I have done ribs in the oven on 190-200 degrees for several hours....foil covered tightly, and kept a temp probe in them to monitor temp and always have turned out tremendous (never opened the oven)...do you think I could do this in the Bradley, without the foil of course.  Rub night before, half about 4-5 slabs of the larger pork loin baby back ribs and smoke for 4-5-6 hours?  Or, am I better off with the cornish hens, halved chickens, or the NY Strip idea....???  Thanks for all your help, I'd be WAY behind the curve without all of you...

FLBentRider

Of those choices, IMHO, the most risk of failure is the ribs. Without the foil, they may get dry.

Don't fear the pork, but give it time.

The bird is a good choice.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Qballgreg

Thanks...just a question about moisture on the ribs....why not smoke for a couple of hours, cover with foil to retain moisture, and slow cook for remainder (no smoke)?

Caneyscud

Butt would be good and forgiving also, but as TLLQ said, it would take awhile as in 7 to 16 hours depending on size.  Ribs wouldn't be a bad choice, but that would be 4 to 8 racks.  Chuckies are pretty easy generally and don't take all that long 4 hours or so.

Ditto on the chicken, but instead of the cornish, I like to marinate boneless chicken thighs in a good italian dressing, then sprinkle with a little rosemary, garlic, and black pepper, then smoke til done - 1 to 3 hours depending on size and temp.  To really kick it up, I would put the finished thighs in one layer in a foil pan.  I would saute a chopped onion and some bell pepper, dice up some tomatoes (romas are good for this) and cover the chicken with the onion, bell peppers and tomatoes.  Then put a healthy dose of mozzarella on top as well as some freshly grated parmesan and put back in the smoker until the cheese melts. 

Don't forget the appetizers - fatties, abt's, moinkballs, shrooms, bacon explosion are just a few.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

I'm with UIS on this one.  Go to the recipe site and take a look at the bacon wrapped chicken breasts.  So very easy and absolutely delish!

KyNola

OU812

I would go with Chicken. Its hard to mess up. Just keep the vent mostly open, and if they like the skin finish the last few min. on the grill.

Go easy on the smoke, poultry takes it in pretty quick. On chicken i use Alder.