Smoking an Elk roast

Started by Smokeville, April 23, 2009, 08:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

I've got an Elk cross rib roast that my daughter bought from Wendy's Mobile Market near Brockville, Ontario.

Any thoughts on how to smoke it... such as wood, length, etc????

Thanks, Rich

Tenpoint5

I have a couple of Ideas. Why don't you send the roast down to me, and when I figure out the best method I will share the method with you and the rest of the folks here.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

I think i would boat the elk, with some red wine, salt, pepper and a little rosemary. Give it 2 hrs of smoke @225* then take it out and crock pot with all the juices until it just falls apart ;D MMMMMMM

nepas

OU812

I have never smoked, Elk sure would love to try it some time.
I do Deer alot though. What i like to do is smoke a rump roast @ 225 F with 3 Hr Pecan then put in a warmed up crock pot top with baby red potatoes and carrots. Cook till falling apart tender drain off juices to make some killer gravey.

Oh ya I only use season salt with a little lemon pepper. I love the taste of the meat so i dont want to cover it up with to mutch stuff.

Smokeville

Sounds great, everyone.

I may try it soon...

"So much to smoke, so little time!"

Rich

Roadking

I would crock pot it just like Nepas said except I wouldn't smoke. I mean you have an Elk roast there and the smoke will only mask the flavors of the roast. If you get another Elk roast then try the smoke.
By the way. Is this Elk farm raised? If it is then smoke it, if it's wild don't. I've had both and the wild is unique in flavor, the farm raised didn't come close to the wild more like farm raised Bison.
added: Answered my question myself sorry, see that it is farm raised. I would smoke away.

Smokeville

Roadking, I think your advice was very good.... and I think I will try the Elk without smoking it first. I've never had elk before so even if it is farm raised I wouldn't know. I can always get more from my daughter, plus bison and boar, etc. and smoke some other time.....

bullhead

Gullrock your in for a treat,nothing like elk meat. I have smoked elk round steak for stew used 2 pucks, was strong smoke. next time I'll use 1 puck. We cook elk roasts eather crookpot or in the oven with potato's, & carrots. I have a sirloin roast waiting for the grill, weather is getting nice now.