Smoked Meatloaf

Started by Brisket Lover, April 24, 2009, 09:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisket Lover

I did a (big) variation of the recipe in SS. Basically I just used that for my times.  I did a little over a 1lb of ground turkey, 1lb of Jimmy Dean regular roll sausage (no ground pork around here that I've found.)  Some bread crumbs, and egg, some worcestershire sauce, spices, and basted with some KC Masterpiece, then topped with cheddar at the end.

Smoked with 4 mesquite and 4 hickory.  I was expecting it to take around 2 1/2 hours and it took closer to 3 1/2 to get it to 165.  I tried to cook around 220 but I had big swings from 190-250.  I had to open the door a few times to check the pucks (see my clicking thread,) take the meat out of the pan, and baste it. 

Came out good. Im critical so I will say it needed more smoke.  It was too faint of a taste.  Also it was thick and not porous like I'm used to with meat loaf.  I've only made meat loaf a few times before and this was the first in the smoker.  It was quite tasty though and was gone quickly.

Picture is from my phone so it may not be as clear as normal.

Carter

Looks good B.L.

I've gotta try that.

NePaSmoKer

Looks good B L

I did a meatloaf awhile back turned out nice.

nepas

Brisket Lover

Is there a key to make it less dense?  If you have ever had Boston Market meatloaf that is the texture I am aiming for.  I think it would take to smoking better also.  Maybe I need more bread crumbs?  I just eyeballed it, but wasn't sure how much to add.

OU812

I have tried the recipe from Smoke and Spice but i cut the bread crums in half the first time i tried it. Just sounded like way to mutch to me.
Turned out prety good not to dence.
The next time i tried ground "Stove Top" with the same amount as i did with the half amount of braed crums.
I liked that a lot better.
When i make meatloaf i line my bread loaf pan with plastic wrap then press in the meat, flip it over on the smoker rack then remove the plastic.
Smoke three Hr with Pecan @ 225 F till IT 165 F
I think the loaf smokes better that way, has more surface area to get the smoke. But thats just me.

Brisket Lover

So you don't cook it at all in the pan?

canadiansmoker

I don't cook mine in the pan at all either, just flip it onto the rack same as OU812. I add some oatmeal to my mix and the meatloaf turns out very moist every time. I think I smoked mine for about 3-3.5 hours with mesquite last time and it turned out well, but it still could have used more smoke, but that's just my preference.

Brisket Lover

Oatmeal!  That is the missing ingredient that my mom always used.  Thanks for the reminder.

KyNola

Add me to the "don't cook it in the pan at all either" list.  As the others have so skillfully said, more surface area to let the smoke penetrate.

KyNola

Brisket Lover

I did 45 mins in the pan and then flipped it. So a little less then 2 hours of smoke.  Next time I will do no pan whatsoever.

canadiansmoker

I line the pan with parchment paper, form the meatloaf, and then tip it out onto the rack. I just pack it down pretty good so that it keeps its' shape. Works great.

Up In Smoke

no pan at all here either, i just form it with plastic wrap and into the bradley it goes.
i have not tried the oatmeal yet, but that will happen on the next one.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.