On the verge

Started by lone369, April 24, 2009, 05:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lone369

Hello,

I am on the verge of a purchase and the forum has helped alot.  I am leaning toward the OBS with the programable PID.  I live in Philadelphia and can not find a dealer anywhere in the area, so I can actually look at it in person. I can not even find a local dealer for the bisquettes, so I guess I will have to rely on the internet and plan ahead.

westexasmoker

I run the OBS with a pid a could'nt be happier....I order my nasty wood from amazon, but if ya got a gander mtn. near you they also carry it!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

westexasmoker

And my bad welcome to the forum...these guys know everything ( I try a bit)   ;D  Keep us posted and good luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

Lone369,
Since your in Philly send an IM to Bigfella. I do believe that he is selling his unit and it has several extras. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

I buy my bisquettes from Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas, if you have one of those near you.  I am lucky I have both stores within 5 miles. 

Mr Walleye

Hi Lone369 and welcome to the forum.

10.5 has you pointed in the right direction. Here is a link to the thread where BigFella is selling his setup and he is located in Philly.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9913.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I have the OBS in SS with a PID.  Very satisfied with it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

lone369

I took a long drive to buy my 4 rack digital smoker today.  I seasoned it and I am smoking a pair of chickens.  I figured that would be a good start.  I decided to get my feet wet with the digital unit and will ad the PID once I know my way around and have some recipes under my bet.

I am going to do ribs tomorrow and was reading a recipe that uses a "Texas Crutch".  The ribs spoke for a few hours then are wrapped in foil and apple juice is added.  The apple juice is reserved and used for a "Maple Candy Pig Sause".

I am guessing that I can do 6 racks of baby back ribs (Cut into half) on the 4 standard racks that came with my new smoker.

Wish me luck.

IKnowWood

six racks of bbacks work cut in half that way.  Make sure to rotate racks during the cook to even them out.  But should be a good one.  Just realize it will take longer than 2 racks of ribs.  Not to much, but a little more.

Welcome and sounds like you are on the way to some fun.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

beefmann

welcome to the forum Lone.

I have an obs with pid and 900 watt heater mod and love it ... if i was gonna do it again.... you bet nd you  would have money the bank..

there easy to use and basically set it and forget it... just get a wireless therometer .. it will be so much more enjoyable

NePaSmoKer

Hi lone

Come on up to my house and we will cook some grub. I am only about 70 miles from Philly. Or if ya want June 20th is the NEPA Smokeout.

I have an OBS with a programable PID you can check it out.

nepas

bigcatdaddy

Welcome lone,

Glad to see you've decided to stop over to the dark side or should I say the smoke side.  When I was think about getting a Bradley, I just viewed a few post and went out the next day and bout one and never looked back.  A great piece of equipment and alot of fun to run.  You'll be a big hit with your friends if you decide to share( no one would blame you if you didn't).

Good luck and keep us posted on the smokin!!

BCD

Smokin Soon

Easiest way to get set up is yardandpool.com I got my initial order from them. They have made it really easy to bundle your purchase to include things like, Jerky Screens, ET-73 Temp Probe, Briquettes, extra racks, cover, Cold Smoke Generator, ect. There are real people that answer the phone to help you, unlike most web dealers. I would highly recommend them.

starship

Welcome,

another vote for the OBS with  PID. Love mine and could not be happier.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

lone369

I did three racks of baby back ribs following the "Last Meal" recipe from amazing ribs.com

I followed the recipe to the letter.  The ribs came out good, I think they should have smoked them longer.  Also I tried the Vermont Pig Candy, but that didn't work out as well.  They said it should be the thickness of paint, but it never got that thick.

We ended up using Sweet Baby Ray's and they were great.

I am learning how to best use the smoker.  If it comes to the point where I need to be more exacting, I will buy the PID.  Right now I will explore and learn.   Once I am more comfortable, I will upgrade.