Newbie from North Carolina

Started by JY001, April 25, 2009, 12:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JY001

Hello All!

I just filled up an Amazon shopping cart with a 4 rack digital smoker, a cover and 2 -48 packs (apple & hickory), all from Amazon. I also bought 2 Bubba Pucks as they sounded so logical!

My first confused newb question is about thermometers. What do I need to buy? I've seen 2 probe remotes mentioned. I'll hope to smoke a wide variety of meat and fish, including game...wild turkey and deer. I'd like to try jerky as well. I want to do it right.

My second confused newb question...other than cosmetic, is there a difference between black and stainless?

Any suggestions appreciated!

JY

Mr Walleye

Hi JT001 and welcome to the forum.

The DBS you purchased will have a stainless interior. The black OBS has an aluminium interior and the Stainless OBS has a stainless interior.

Just a quick note on using you Bubba Pucks. When using 2 of them you will load however many pucks you want for smoke, as an example say you want 2 hours of smoke, you would load 6 wood pucks in the tube, followed by your 2 Bubba Pucks, followed by 1 more wood puck. It requires 3 pucks to push the last burnt wood puck off the puck burner. Hope that made sense.

A lot of members here use the Maverick ET73 thermometer. It has 2 probes, one for monitoring the tower temp and 1 for monitoring the meat temp. It also has a wireless remote so you can monitor the temps from a distance. It also has an alarm on the remote. They are available from a number of places including from Yard and Pool, who is a member here on the forum. Here's a link....
http://www.yardandpool.com/Maverick-Remote-ET-73-Smoker-Thermometer-p/et-73.htm

Also, if you haven't already been to the recipe site just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post. Lots of great stuff there too from all the fine folks on the forum here.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

First question - the Maverick ET-73 is nice and what most use.  I have one and also have http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

Second question - not really.  I have the stainless, so I can not actually give you first hand knowledge.  I have not heard anyone complain about the black one.  I think the black one is aluminum, but for functionality, they are probably the same.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

JY001

Thanks guys, for the recommendation. I actually cancelled my Amazon order, and am placing it with Yard and Pool....I also added a 3rd Bubba Puck.

Mr Walleye

JY001

Bryan at Yard and Pool is a great guy to deal with, excellent customer service.

Keep us posted...

Mike

KyNola

Welcome JY!

My friends Mike and the Jungle Cat have hooked you up.   The Maverick ET-73 works like a champ.  I have the BDS 4 rack just like you.  Don't trust the BDS temp readings when you first start smoking something.  As the meat begins to come up to temp, the BDS temp readings will get closer and closer to being accurate and mirroring the ET-73.  The probe that monitors the IT of the meat is a great thing.

KyNola

Mr Walleye

That's a really good point Up In Smoke. I have destroyed a few in my time.  ::)

You just want to clean the probe portion without submerging it in water.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Hi JY and welcome to the forum. Season your Bradley and crack open the CarolinaTreet sauce and get ta smokin  ;D

nepas

starship

Welcome JY,

I am sure you are going to enjoy your smoker. Nothing else I can add, as the other guys have cover all the bases.  Almost.
I do like my pid controller.  Almost set it and forget it.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html