Garlic Parmesan Smoked Wings

Started by Smokin Soon, March 10, 2009, 05:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Started out to make some how wings today and decided to try something new.

1/4 cup fresh ground Parmesan
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp horseradish powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Tony Chacher's Creole Seasoning

The mix

About 1 1/2 hours of cold smoke of Jim Beam Oak

Big Easy time

Do the sprinkle and pop a beer open

pensrock

Those look great!  :)

I made some hot, garlic, parm wings a few years back and they were the best wings I EVER had. But I did not write anything down and the next morning tried to remember everything I put in, but have never been able to duplicate it again.  :(

seemore

SS, those look positively wonderful!  I think I will have to try it!

FLBentRider

Nice looking wings SS, Now I want wings for Breakfast!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Buck36

I am going to have to make those for my son. He would eat an entire wheel of parmesan if we let him.

smokeitall

I don't know if you have ever been to a Wing Stop before but my favorite wings are the garlic parmesan and lemon pepper.  I always thought their wings would be just a tad bit better with some smoke flavoring.  Man I gotta get a Big Easy.

sherlock

SS
Did you season them before the smoke or just after the BE?
???

Smokin Soon

The wings just had a sprinkle of chicken rub before the smoke. The garlic Parmesan mixed went on after the Big Easy. After the sprinkle i just rolled the pieces around in the mix a little to to get a better coverage.

sherlock

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sherlock

SS

Three more questions

1. Did you have the lid on the BE on or off?
2. How long did they take in the BE?
3. Did you cook to a certain temperature?

Thanks

Smokin Soon

Quote from: sherlock on March 20, 2009, 07:24:43 AM
SS

Three more questions

1. Did you have the lid on the BE on or off?
2. How long did they take in the BE?
3. Did you cook to a certain temperature?

Thanks

That's kind of a loaded question that could vary under wind and temp conditions. I usually have wing temps of 120 when they go from the the smoker to the Big Easy. I do hope that you have a Thermapen as none of my other thermometers could accurately read a wing temp, but I think you could do it by skin color also. I will start off with cover off until temps get to 160 or so. Cover goes on until I see little black spots forming on the wings. I really do not know why, but Big Easy wings need to be cooked above the standard temp of 165-170. Could be the Infra-Red thing. As far as time goes, 20 minutes? The Big Easy time for your wings needs babysitting. If you do not hear things crackling in a couple of minutes, wind and temp could be fighting you. Other Big Easy users are moving the unit into the garage, opened for ventilation or screen rooms with open windows. [All not reccommended by Char-Broil for safety reasons] There is very little smoke from these beauties.

Great thing about is that wings are the cheapest chicken out there if you look around, so experiment at will! Fun to experiment with marinades and sauces to see what you like.

Gizmo

Quote from: Smokin Soon on March 23, 2009, 06:13:13 PM

Great thing about is that wings are the cheapest chicken out there if you look around, so experiment at will! Fun to experiment with marinades and sauces to see what you like.

Check the price of chicken legs.  They are cheaper than wings here and have more meat on them.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Giz, ya gotta shop the Asian markets, as they usually have 10 pound bags of quarters or wings for about 9 bucks!

Gizmo

Yah, I have to travel a little farther for them though.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/