Maple breakfast sausage links, patties and scotch eggs

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, November 29, 2014, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Breakfast sausage has been my favourite since I began this journey.  I have stuck with Kutas' recipe with added maple syrup as my wife and I both really enjoy the taste and will often have this sausage for dinner as well as breakfast.

I decided to do some links and patties as the patties make great sandwiches.  I figured I may as well try some scotch eggs at the same time.  I gave them all 3 hours of cherry smoke and brought them to an IT of about 142 F.  The scotch eggs were wrapped in sausage, covered with flour, drenched in egg and then rolled in bred crumbs.  We will pan fry the eggs to complete cooking tomorrow, hope they work out.

iceman

Looks like a dang tasty treat to me. We love breakfast sausage sammies with egg and cheese for dinner. Let us know how the scotch eggs turn out.  :P  ;D

cobra6223

Those scotch eggs look interesting and the sausage tasty

WoodlawnSmoker

The scotch eggs were a big hit.  We reheated in the oven on low and then a quick fry to crisp, turned out very nicely.  Topped with a bit of maple syrup and one is just about a full breakfast.  I think the key was to only initially hardboil the eggs to about 3/4 done, that way they finish perfectly when reheated.

iceman

Glad they turned out!  :) I'll have to remember the under cooking trick.

TMB

Looks really good, would you share the recipe for the maple breakfast sausage??  PLEASE  ;D
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: TMB on December 09, 2014, 08:57:42 AM
Looks really good, would you share the recipe for the maple breakfast sausage??  PLEASE  ;D

Sure, it's the same recipe I've used in the past.  We really like the taste, if nothing else you can use it as a baseline and tweak it how you like.

This is for a 5 pound batch:

5 pound pork shoulder
    1 cup ice water
    6 grams Cure #1
    2 Tablespoon kosher salt
    1/2 Tablespoon ground white powder
    1 Tablespoon rubbed sage
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 Tablespoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 Tablespoon Thyme
    1/2 cup soy protein (not packed)
    1/2 cup maple syrup