Jerky Question - To Rinse or Not to Rinse

Started by Jimbo, October 07, 2009, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

If you are using a wet marinade do you rinse it offer after you are done and prior to putting in smoker/dehydrator?  Or do you prefer to go from the marinade straight to the smoker/dehydrator?

Thanks.

westexasmoker

The few times I've done jerky, I haven't rinsed prior to the smoke.  I'm sure the king of jerky (Nepas) will be about here in a bit!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Hopefull Romantic

I have not done any jerky...yet and as WTS said the king will be here soon and would help you out.

As with regard to non - jerky items; I think there are two schools on this thought, some rinse and some dont. Unless you are brinning fish in a high salt brine, then you dont rinse. Why waste so many hour to make your meat gain the aroma and then wash it (IMHO).

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

BigJohnT

I never rinse the wonderful flavor off my jerky cause Nepas didn't tell me to  ;D

I make jerky just about every weekend.

John

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 07, 2009, 10:54:30 AM
I never rinse the wonderful flavor off my jerky cause Nepas didn't tell me to  ;D

I make jerky just about every weekend.

John

Keep the marinade on, dont rinse. The only time you would rinse if you did a dry marinade rub with MTQ.

nepas

pensrock

Same here, no rinse. If its really wet and dripping, I pat them with paper towels. Also if I want to add black pepper I sprinkle it on just before going to the smoker.

nickld

No rinsing here.  I like to keep the marinade goodness on my meat!   ;)

Caribou

I have never rinsed the marinade off jerky or the dry cures like High Mt either.
Carolyn

OU812

I dont rinse ether, when I do teriyaki I will mop the rest of the marinade on the meat after I put it on the racks.