Want to expand my skills, any tips or pointers from the experts?

Started by Consooger, October 16, 2012, 02:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

So I have had enough of seeing all these smokey sticks, spicy sticks, slim jims, etc etc etc and I have invested in some stuff to get this going. Im going to venture into this in about 2 weeks but any advice on how to do  this would be great. I have the grinder, stuffer, I just ordered some spices and mixes and some casings from LEM's. What I guess I'm most concerned about is the temp and time of doing these as well as keeping the temperature as constant as I can. I do not have a PID for my 6 rack.

I know this a pretty broad post but anything else anyone thinks I would need or do with this would be awesome. I make jerky all the time so I'm looking for something new to try.

I'm also going to venture into sausage in a short time as well but that is another post with a boat load of questions.

Thanks again ya'll!!!!!!

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Tenpoint5

John all them sticky things are doing sausage bud.

In your 6 rack you will have to go out and adjust the temps up by yourself. but you use the same methods that we have been talking about with all the sausage posts.

120 for 1 hour to dry the sticks
130 for 2 hours applying smoke
150 for 2 hours
160-170 until they reach 152 IT
Rotating the racks top to bottom and front to back every hour or two.

Remember to reset the cook time back to 9:40 every now and then so it don't shut off on you. Don't give me that look either, cause I know you have done it already just like the rest of us digital owners have!! ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

QuoteDon't give me that look either, cause I know you have done it already just like the rest of us digital owners have!!
Not me.    ::)

Consooger

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

JZ

Never happened to me either .... I blame it on power outages. ::) ::) ::)

Oh .... back on topic.... I am no expert cause I just started sausage making a little while ago, but I can tell you that you will not regret it. The first few batches I made turned out good because of the recipes and help that is always available here. Just dive in and ask away. ;D ;D ;D

OU812

Start off with a tried and true recipe,,,,,,,,,,,,then tweak it to your liking

Take notes

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on October 16, 2012, 06:42:03 PM

Take notes

What dat  :o

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 16, 2012, 06:54:03 PM

Take notes

A way to remember what I did the night before  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on October 16, 2012, 07:05:32 PM

Take notes

You mean you can actually figure out and then read them henscrtches the next morning
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 16, 2012, 08:11:18 PM
Quote from: OU812 on October 16, 2012, 07:05:32 PM

Take notes

You mean you can actually figure out and then read them henscrtches the next morning

Believe it or not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes  ;D

Pictures help too   8)