Habs Pastrami (now with junipers)

Started by LilSmoker, August 03, 2007, 09:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilSmoker

Hi La Quinta, pecan will be fine, it gives a sweet mild flavour, i've used it myself in the past with pastrami, very nice!  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Either pecan or oak would work well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Great...thanks guys. I'll take pictures!!

Habanero Smoker

Though I feel that dry curing makes the best pastrami, many prefer the texture of the deli style pastrami. Using a dry cure gives the pastrami a different texture. I found using commercial corn beef does not give as good of flavor, and I have a bad after taste after eating it.

Having said that, pastrami is traditionally steamed cooked after the smoking period. So I may attempt to steam cook it in the Bradley after the smoking stage, using the method Kamanodental posted on steaming sausage. Or maybe braising it in the oven. I am working a on pickle (wet brine), that will give me the same flavors of the dry cure I use. I'm not sure which method I will try first, or maybe I will try both at the same time. Hopefully I will have some results by the end of the month.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

Ok, so how do I steam it in the Bradley?

Habanero Smoker

La Quinta;

I'm not sure it will work in the BS, but it was one of the options I was going to explore. Here is a link that describes how to steam in the BS. It is a method used by Kamano to finish sausage.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5735.msg54114#msg54114

I'm having second thoughts about steaming pastrami in the BS. For pastrami you will probably be using a higher temperature, and a longer period of time. I'm recalling a time when I smoked 10 pounds of chicken wings at one time. The moisture build up was so great that a lot of the seasoning peeled off my cabinet walls. Steaming sausage would be different. You wouldn't use such a high temperature, and the amount of time you apply steam would be much shorter. For the pastrami I would go with braising in the oven. I would also use a rack to keep the meat out of the liquid.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

I think you're right...I'm gonna go with the oven method. I'll let you know what happens! Thanks for all your help Habs...going to do it today!!

Habanero Smoker

I look forward towards your results. I'm sure this will produce a more moist pastrami, then smoking/cooking it completely in the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

Have another question...should I FTC before steaming? Or straight from the smoker? Thanks for putting up with my questions!!!

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on August 20, 2007, 03:20:30 PM
Have another question...should I FTC before steaming? Or straight from the smoker? Thanks for putting up with my questions!!!
The last time I did Habs pastrami I put it on a rack in the steamer pan right out of the smoker and covered tightly then into the oven. No FTC at all and it turned out fantastic. I used drippings from the smoker bowl in the steamer. Temp was at 220F for over an hour to get the texture I liked. Just my 2 cents. I think your on the right track.

La Quinta

I'm going to do that...I have a big pot with a steamer insert...couldn't i do it on the stove at a slow boil? Sorry to sound like an idiot but...I'm really excited about this...made rye bread today for the eventual eating!!! Which reminds me..of another ?...can I steam and eat? or should I still wait a couple of days? Help me...I'm hungry!!!

iceman

I couldn't wait last time so it was sliced right out of the oven and on to some fresh marble rye. It does get better after a spell in the refer though. Your stove top idea sounds like it would work. Heck give it a go. ;)

Habanero Smoker

La Quinta;
Yes! You can steam (braise) using your range burners. You can eat it at any time, but you will notice that the following day (if it last that long) it will taste better. Homemade rye bread is a nice addition.

Iceman;
Thanks for the tip on steaming. Your way, there is a lot less clean up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

I'm off to Coscto today and hopefully can get a brisket, for some reason they're hard to find in my area. I've been wanting to make pastrami for some time and the tips here are greatly appreciated.
La Quinta,
   I was also thinking about the stovetop method and can't see any reason why not.
Iceman,
   What temp did you have the oven on? 250? This way seems like an easy cleanup.
Thanks guys for your help.
Mike
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

iceman

Quote from: HCT on August 22, 2007, 06:00:32 AM
Iceman,
   What temp did you have the oven on? 250? This way seems like an easy cleanup.
Thanks guys for your help.
Mike
I ran the oven at 225 but I never checked it with a remote to see how accurate it held.