Need some help.

Started by GrillZilla, June 23, 2009, 08:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrillZilla

I plan on doing 1/2" thick batch of LB jerky this weekend (5 lbs) using NePa's wet marinade.  I built my own smoker 3X3X5'.  Made of wood and powered by a propane turkey fryer with a dutch oven to hold the chips.  Worked great for last week's salmon...best I have ever had!  My questions are as follows considering I will be doing the entire cook in my smoker (no dehydrator, oven etc):

1.  At what Box temp should I put the jerky in?
2.  It appears that 1 1/2 hours of smoke should be applied when the jerky is first put in the box...does this hold true for a non Bradley home growed smoker as well (not quite as air tight as the Bradley)?
3.  Should I be gradually increasing my box temp to a desired temp?  If so, what temp to start and what temp to finish?
4.  What is the "estimated" time I should start checking for doneness?

As always, thanks so much for the input and comments and I hope to have pictures soon of my smoker and smoked wares!!  Just got to get my camera back from my brother. 

Gizmo

Your wood chips will not provide the same concentration of smoke but with a new home built, it would be hard to determine a guide.  I would reference your experienc with the salmon to determine how much more or less smoke from that experience.  The temperature for jerky is typically 160 deg.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

GZ

It wont take long for the IT of your smoke to reach 150* At this point i would add your jerky. Keep a close eye on it because it can shoot up real fast. As the jerky dries you can bump the heat to 160* then 170*. I really would not go to much higher in temp.

As for smoke. Your going to have more smoke with your system than the Bradley because your chips/chunks or dust will be smoking all at once. Try not to over wet the wood because you want a dry enviroment. For doneness your looking for jerky that you can bend. Take a slice and bend it, if it stays bent your just about there. Tear it in half and look for meat color. You will know if its still raw.  If the jerky snaps in half its over smoked/cooked.  You might have a rough texture or a whiteish look to it, dont worry its because of the flame. You will have a deep redish color because of this too.

nepas

Caneyscud

Don't know much about jerky, but know some guys who swear by their wood pellets (like from Traeger) for their smoking in their homemades.  The put a little in a cast iron skillet and put it on an electric hot plate.  They say great, pure smoke without the problems NePas mentioned with chips.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

GrillZilla

Thanks for the excellent tips all.  NePa, you are dead on about the temp climbing....while doing my salmon, what I would do is get the chips smoking in the dutch oven then cut the gas...if not, it would climb to 190s +.  I drilled a few more holes in the box to allow for more heat escape and it seemed to help a bit.  I will probably cut two 5" holes in the top and use some scrap plywood as a damper control.  I think I can manage your temps by keeping a close eye on the box temp, and cutting the gas and cracking the door when needed.  When the gas was off and chips smoking (adding heat), I found that I only lost about 10 degrees every 35-45 minutes.....which does not present too big a problem if watched and regulated.  I will watch how long I soak the chips...I figure 5-10 minutes should suffice...correct me if I am wrong.  Again, thanks for all the tips and advise.    And yes...after doing my first smoke with the salmon recipe posted at the top of the fish board, you could say that I am now addicted....the fish was outstanding!!!!!!!

NePaSmoKer

GZ

Drill 3, 1 1/2" holes in the wood. Take some metal screen (like screens on your windows) and staple it inside over the holes. Then make the slider damper on the outside. I think 5" holes would let to much heat and smoke out.

5/10 mins is ok with the wet chips. Like caney said pellets are nice just make sure they are Traeger, green mountain or JD. Also go to a feed store and get a bag of dry corn, It taste great. (not lay or chciken mash) Dont use pellets that are made for home heating.

nepas

GrillZilla

Rick, I left you a message on your phone...let me know if you get charged for long distance and I will call you back so you don't incur the charges.  Thanks again.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: GrillZilla on June 24, 2009, 01:48:20 PM
Rick, I left you a message on your phone...let me know if you get charged for long distance and I will call you back so you don't incur the charges.  Thanks again.

Hi Nelson

I turn my phone off once my wife gets home from work, But its on now.

nepas