beer can chicken

Started by Quarlow, October 25, 2009, 04:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

So I got a couple of chickens ready for the smoker.

Rubbed with EVOO and sprinkled with "Clubhouse" spices one with "chicken BBQ" spice and the other "Lemon herb". I would have put more prep into it but was away all day and now it si to late. Going to smoke for 1 hr and then stick them on the beer cans and grill till done. Any suggestions, final temp, tin pan underneath or not. I have never done this so any help would be appreciated.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

Too late Almost finish. Had a little disaster. The chicken with the thermo fell over, so there won't be any beer left in that can. Going to pull them at 160f. Crossing my fingers. Should have been home earlier and ask my questions last night. Doh
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

There are no disasters when it comes to the Bradley and to grilling.  They are all just happy accidents.  I'll bet they both turn out great Q!

KyNola 

Quarlow

Thanks KY what do you think about pulling it at 160 f. Going to eat it right away.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

Q,
I think you're OK but do a quick check if you're concerned by slicing into the joint between the leg and the thigh.  If you see red don't panic yet.  Take a white towel or paper towel and blot the juices.  Now look at the towel.  Do you see red?  If so, it's a little undercooked.  No red?  Time to eat!  My guess is you're good to go.  If undercooked, throw in the oven for a few minutes.

KyNola

Quarlow

Thanks Ky their in the oven now. Arrgh.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

It's all good.  Bring them up to 165-170 and EAT!

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Q, I have read if you are in a hurry to do chicken, Like KN said and you have discovered, you can slice or expose the joint between the leg and thigh and it will speed up you somkin or grillin time, but you still have to get the IT in the thickest part of breast to 165.

Man I Love that, Happy accidents.

Quarlow

Well a big thanks to Kynola. The chicken worked out. I did have to stick it in the oven for a bit as I had the probe in the wrong spot, so when the temp said 160f, I pulled them off the grille and shut it down they still needed some cooking. But was it ever tasty. I should have been home earlier so I had more time and not have to rush, but the next time I will cook/smoke it more before putting on the BBQ or in the oven.

Had a little trouble on the BBQ, my thermo probe was up to high, and when I shut the lid it knock that one over.
Skin stuck to the grille and spiiled most of the beer, but it was fine.

Here they are doing the happy dance on the grille.

And when we usually eat one chicken for the 4 of use, I figured 2 would leave lots for lunches for work.
Well I got lunch today but that was it. YUMMY.

Considering this a successful learning experience. Time is of the essence.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Great Job Q. Looks very tasty. If this one was great, just think how much greater the next will be.

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

Hopefull Romantic

That was great looking chicken Q.

Quote from: KyNola on October 25, 2009, 06:25:06 PM
There are no disasters when it comes to the Bradley and to grilling.  They are all just happy accidents.  I'll bet they both turn out great Q!

KyNola 

Loved what you said KY
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Brad Stab

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 25, 2009, 11:48:30 PM
Q, I have read if you are in a hurry to do chicken, Like KN said and you have discovered, you can slice or expose the joint between the leg and thigh and it will speed up you somkin or grillin time, but you still have to get the IT in the thickest part of breast to 165.

I personally would not recommend cutting into any protein before cooking. In particular poultry. You will loose an enormous amount of moisture.
IMO
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Brad Stab on November 02, 2009, 12:25:21 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 25, 2009, 11:48:30 PM

I personally would not recommend cutting into any protein before cooking. In particular poultry. You will loose an enormous amount of moisture.
IMO

Thanks for that thought, I am sure you have your reasons as I have mine.