Butt temp problem

Started by watchdog56, February 06, 2010, 03:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Well it is about 25 out and I have my 4 rack DBS in the garage out of the wind. I preheated to 260 then put in 3 butts,2 were 8 lbs and the other around 6. Temp dropped down but after 2 1/2 hours it is only back up to 185. I had to reset my PID to 235 for 20 hours but it does not look like I will be getting temp up that high.
I have a brick in the unit for recovery already. IS this going to be ok and I am sure it will cook longer or am I going to need to put in oven? I think I am going to have to find out how to add an extra heating element for next season.

classicrockgriller

185* might be too low.

I know several will smoke/cook theirs at 205*

That is the lowest I hears of.

MPTubbs

This will be a long smoke/cook.

22#'s of meat is a big load.

I would say plan on at least 16 to 20 hours for an IT of 195*.

Your temp will creep up but it takes a while.

I'm doing 23#'s of brisket as we speak and I'm in my 20th hour and just about ready to pull.

A dual element is the way to go for cold weather.

I
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

watchdog56

It is up to 189 now. Smoke should be done in about 2 hours. I will close the vent a little but leave it at least half open and hopefully that will raise the temp a little.

watchdog56

Last time it took me 15 hours for 15 lbs with outside temp at 45 so I figured this one would be at least 20 hours, If it goes 22 that will be ok I will still have at least 1 hour of FTC.

MPTubbs

Quote from: watchdog56 on February 06, 2010, 04:04:00 PM
It is up to 189 now. Smoke should be done in about 2 hours. I will close the vent a little but leave it at least half open and hopefully that will raise the temp a little.

Also you might try to keep the smoke generator on at all times.

The generator is another 250 watts of heat!

Trust me it helps.

watchdog56

Pachanga

MpTubbs is right on.

It takes a while to bring the meat up to temperature.  You just want to watch for a continual gain.  As the gain gets higher the  movement will be exponential.  If gain becomes a loss, there is a problem.

If you open the door for any reason, put a pan of boiling water (pour the water in when the pan is in the oven for safety) onto a shelf to help heat things up or put some foil wrapped preheated bricks in on a shelf or two.  This is a Tubb's technique.

Hang in there and you will whip it.

Good luck and slow, slow, slow smoking,

Pachanga

Pachanga

Also, close or open the vent to about 5/8 open or until smoke comes out of the generator.  Too much closure can actually retard temperature as much as too much open.

Pachaga

classicrockgriller

We are behind you watchdog.

We know you will whip them Butts. ;D

Pachanga

CRG,

I thought you spanked them.  I have been following your lead.  Am i doing this wrong?  I have been meaning to ask, do you spank gentle or are you rough?

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Pachanga on February 06, 2010, 04:25:07 PM
CRG,

I thought you spanked them.  I have been following your lead.  Am i doing this wrong?  I have been meaning to ask, do you spank gentle or are you rough?

Pachanga

Depends on the size. ;D

Pachanga

Nice one CRG.

Have you ever been known to use handcuffs during your butt spanking barbeque?

Pachanga

MPTubbs

:D :D :D

Here we go.....time to put the kids to bed!

Pachanga

Well, I know he talks about tying some up.

Pachanga