Some of the best jerky I have made so far....

Started by Consooger, May 17, 2012, 03:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

As stated numerous times before I am a jerky junky and always like trying different styles and flavors of jerky. Well I think I maye have found one of my favorite ways to make jerky.

I did a 5 lb batch and the base of the jerky was simple. I bought a bottle of Cabela's Jerky Juice Smokehouse Original. One bottle is good for 5 lbs of meat. So i put it in the Reveo and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tsp of cure and I tumbled for 60 mins. Afterwards I let sit in the fridge overnight. When I was ready to smoke I tumbled in for 20 more minutes as the smoker was heating up.

Put all the jerky which was exactly 6 racks onto the frog mats and dried it at 140 degrees for an hour ***NOTE, during this time a lot of  the juices seemed to drip off the jerky as it was drying, some were very wet so I patted them down with a paper towel. Onto the smoke.....I did 7 total pucks/2 hours 20 mins. I did 3 pucks of cherry and 4 pucks of hickory at 165 degrees and then after the smoke I kept steady at 165 for 3-4 more hours. For most of the jerky, it was done around the 3 hour point but I left some of the thicker slices in until the 4 hours was up.

Let me tell you this was some of the best jerky I have ever tasted. Very moist and not overdone, and the flavor was amazing. I will definately mess with this recpie now and tweak it for spicy and sweet recipes as well. I know it's not fancy but it sure did work and the Mrs finally loves a batch that I have done. All the previous ones have been way too hot for her.

she is bagging it for me, but is using a fork because she "doesn't want to get her hands smokey before bed"

Money Shot #1

Money Shot #2 (not sure why the jerky had the color and tint of this, but it's very good TRUST ME)

Money Shot #3

This stuff won't last long!

Cabela's has 2 other flavors I'm going to have to check out. And I must say buying the tumbler TOTALLY makes a difference with the flavoring and the texture of the final product!!!

Enjoy!

-Sugar
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Keymaster

Good Looking Jerky!! Nice Job!! I'll have to try that Cabelas seasoning soon .

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

KyNola

Buy a box of the powder free latex or Nitrile(latex free) gloves for your wife and you to wear when handling marinades, raw meats and things like that.  Makes clean up super easy.  Just strip the gloves off inside out and toss in the trash.

I too own a Reveo.  I have a question for you about your method.  You vacced and tumbled the meat for an hour then went into the frig overnight.  While it was in the frig was it still under the vac or did you release it? Prior to smoking you tumbled for another 20 minutes.  Does the Cabela Juice have acidity in it?  Did the raw meat feel overly soft when you took it out of the marinade?  The reason I ask is if the meat was under vac for that long the marinade would have been pulled in the meat the entire time.  You might get away with that with beef but trust me on this, you don't want to go that long on poultry or seafood if the marinade has acidity in it and under vac for several hours.  You will wind up with a pile of raw mushy chicken or seafood.

Your jerky looks really good.  I am going to have to try that jerk marinade.  You also have a lovely wife with a great smile.

NePaSmoKer

Ditto with Ky again.

Cabelas juice has the acidity spoke of. (Dont know why Cabelas stopped carrying the Jim Meltons Jerky marinade. Was way better)
I make my own marinades.

And i have done the Reveo vac/fridge overnight on jerky when i dont have enuff time. Been there done that with fowl and acidic marinade in the Reveo, Fowl paste.

Do you keep your vent full open? I took my vent adjustment off and runn full open all the time. Works better.

Consooger

I did keep it in the fridge overnight and did not release the seal on the vac, I really didn't see an issue with it and when I took it out and placed it on the mats it wasn't overly soft or mushy but I see your take on keeping it sealed tight in there overnight. I figured it was sealed tightly and just keep it there overnight. Next time I will move it to another container or just release the vac on it. I do love this tool! As I said I am going to tweak this marinade next time. I have yet to find a marinade I like as well as this and it just seems too good to be true on how simple it was but hey it works!
Thanks for the kind words on my fiancé she is the best. BTW just made a huge batch of Jan's run this evening because I was told we are out and need more sooner than later! Hah

Quote from: KyNola on May 17, 2012, 07:37:48 AM
Buy a box of the powder free latex or Nitrile(latex free) gloves for your wife and you to wear when handling marinades, raw meats and things like that.  Makes clean up super easy.  Just strip the gloves off inside out and toss in the trash.

I too own a Reveo.  I have a question for you about your method.  You vacced and tumbled the meat for an hour then went into the frig overnight.  While it was in the frig was it still under the vac or did you release it? Prior to smoking you tumbled for another 20 minutes.  Does the Cabela Juice have acidity in it?  Did the raw meat feel overly soft when you took it out of the marinade?  The reason I ask is if the meat was under vac for that long the marinade would have been pulled in the meat the entire time.  You might get away with that with beef but trust me on this, you don't want to go that long on poultry or seafood if the marinade has acidity in it and under vac for several hours.  You will wind up with a pile of raw mushy chicken or seafood.

Your jerky looks really good.  I am going to have to try that jerk marinade.  You also have a lovely wife with a great smile.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Consooger

I have heard great things of Jim Melton's marinade and I cannot find it anywhere. Rick what is the recipe you prefer over everything else. I'm open for anything and everything. Also my vent is stuck on wide open all the time.

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 17, 2012, 08:51:27 AM
Ditto with Ky again.

Cabelas juice has the acidity spoke of. (Dont know why Cabelas stopped carrying the Jim Meltons Jerky marinade. Was way better)
I make my own marinades.

And i have done the Reveo vac/fridge overnight on jerky when i dont have enuff time. Been there done that with fowl and acidic marinade in the Reveo, Fowl paste.

Do you keep your vent full open? I took my vent adjustment off and runn full open all the time. Works better.
               -My Wife

Smoker John

Jerky looks really good and so does the drink next to the tray.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712