Pecan Smoked Cheese?

Started by JZ, November 04, 2011, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Outside temps are starting to get cool (forcast for -10*C tonight) and I think it is time to do some cheese.

I've got med cheddar, mild cheddar and marbled. Thinking of using Pecan for the wood and was wondering if anyone else has tried Pecan.

grnhs

That's what I use.
2hrs at around 75-80*

Smoking Alligator

I use special blend.. Gives you a mild flavor.  Pecan works great too!!

JZ

Thanks Guys --- I will go for Pecan for 2 hrs.

OU812

Pecan is my wood of choice,,,,,,,,,,,,except Hickroy for pork butt and Oak for brisket

And like grnhs stated try to keep your smoker around 80 F

Then after the smoke allow to cool at room temp for a couple hr, wipe down with a paper towel and wrap tightly in plastic, or vac seal and throw in the back of the fridge for at least 2 weeks to age.

Gooood stuff.

Apple is good too.

muebe

Pecan and apple are great for cheese. Maple is good too ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

JZ

Last time I smoked cheddar I used alder and it took over 2 months before the ash taste was gone ---- but after that it was very good.

Since the cheese is being cold smoked on one rack (2 at most) I thought I should add some nuts, probably almonds and was wondering if Pecan would be weird on nuts? Or should I just do the nuts seperately using Hickory?

zueth

In my experience apple is the best for cheese, you can try others, but I think you will always go back to apple.

Jim O

I must say I love my cheese hickory smoked !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

Pecan is my go to bisquette for cheese, nuts and vegetables.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)