Not your momma's meatloaf recipe question

Started by gbritten_nh, May 05, 2011, 08:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbritten_nh

I have been reviewing recipes for smoked meatloaf here and on the internet, and decided to do this one, and I want to saute the onions, peppers, etc first.  As I may tend to over-think things, I am wondering, should the sauteed ingredients be cooled before adding the meat and other cold ingredients, since meatloaf is sensitive to overhandling and maybe to too much warmth while being mixed?  I do not see it in the recipes, but it seems to make sense.

Also, I see a big variation in smoking times, I am a fan of pretty heavy smoke and will be using Hickory, and was thinking 3 hours (which is probably most of the cooking time), any thoughts?

KyNola

You are dead on.  Especially with rolling hickory but I am from Kentucky where if you're smoking......it's hickory.  I too let my vegetables cool down prior to mixing.  Can't remember the original recipe to the meatloaf you're doing but there are some fun things you can do.  You can throw some of your favorite rub in the meat when mixing.  You can pour about a shotglass full of your favorite BBQ sauce in the meat mix too.  You can also paint the meatloaf a couple of times with your favorite sauce in the last 45 minutes of the cooking time.

Most importantly, have lots of fun and make that meatloaf yours! 

La Quinta

I agree...what Ky said...go for it...meatloaf is what you want...add some heat if you wish...I like chipotles!!!  ;D

smoker pete

Here's a link to a meatloaf I did in my OBS back in March.  Smoked mine for 2 hours/40 minutes (8 bisquettes).  I like using Jim Beam Bisquettes on beef.

I didn't wait for the saute onions & peppers to cool down before mixing.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

gbritten_nh

This is the recipe I made: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8620.0  but I omitted the peppers because I did not have any and the closest store is 4 miles away.  I will do a full writeup with a couple of pics this weekend.

I should add here, though, I smoked 2.5 hrs in Hickory, got IT of 160 so I pulled it, I had planned on up to 3 hrs smoke.

Nice smoke flavor, more delicate than I expected, but it was excellent.  Had leftovers for lunch.

muebe

My wife makes a meatloaf that is 60% ultra lean ground beef and 40% ground turkey. Now when that thing is cooked in the oven with the recipe instructions it is not edible IMHO. So dry and tasteless. I was about to ban her from ever making it again and then I asked her to make one more but this time I would smoke it in the OBS. I found that it actually turns out very good smoked. Moist and tasty. Now she is happy because it is healthy and I am happy because it is actually edible ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

gbritten_nh

Quote from: muebe on May 06, 2011, 09:18:08 AM
Now she is happy because it is healthy and I am happy because it is actually edible ;D

Edible is always better! ;D