Butt question

Started by RFT, December 04, 2010, 01:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFT

Ribs are finishing up and going to put the pork butt in very soon.   

One question. Fat side down or up?

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

FLBentRider

I do fat down on butts and brisket.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RFT

Thank you very much sir!

How' your smoke going?
N.P.

DarqMan

I agree.  I do mine fat side down but other will say fat side up.  Try both and see which works best for you.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

I'm kinda a flip/flopper.

I do like to have Fat up during smoke time.

Butt the fat down will protect the meat over a long cook.

TestRocket

Is there a right way? In my mind fat side up and let gravity help all the juice run down hill, but then again if the fat side down will protect the meat over a long cook???

Hey, if it's cook to the right IT I don't think anyone eating it will complain so like DarqMan said "Try both and see which works best for you." I don't think you can go wrong!  ;D

SoCalBuilder

WHen I get up the nerve to do than more than one at a time, I think I will probably try the bottom butt with the fat down and the upper with the fat up. Kinda makes sense to my little pea-brain ;)

SouthernSmoked

I agree fat side up and let the juice flow through.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

GusRobin

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on December 04, 2010, 03:44:16 PM
WHen I get up the nerve to do than more than one at a time, I think I will probably try the bottom butt with the fat down and the upper with the fat up. Kinda makes sense to my little pea-brain ;)
That's what I tried to do the first time I cooked multiple butts. However, I rotate the racks. Between the long time to cook, the rotation of the racks, and the adult beverages I lost track and mixed them up. So after that I use the scientific method. Whichever way I happen to grab it, that is the way it goes in. So it is "the luck of the draw" if it goes in fat up or down.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on December 04, 2010, 03:44:16 PM
WHen I get up the nerve to do than more than one at a time...

I did one, once...

And when we were standing there looking at the still-steaming foil, I was asked "where's the other one"

That was the last time I made one. Now its usually 2-4 sometimes 8  ::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Here's one more alternative I use.  Trim the fat cap off of it completely and apply your rub over the CYM or oil or molasses.  I find that the butt has enough internal fat that the meat stays nice and moist.  I think this process results in a more pronounced bark and much less fat to have to deal with when you pull the butt.

Kind of goes against the norm but hey, whoever said I was normal? :D :P

RFT

Puttin the fat cap down worked well for me.  When I pulled the but off to FTC  :D the cap preeety much pulled right off even though I used some olive oil cooking spray. I think if I put the meat side down I would of been pulling the pork prematurely because of it sticking on the racks.
N.P.

squirtthecat

That's what I do as well.  The fat cap acts as a heat shield of sorts.   And if it sticks to the racks, no biggie.

Indy Smoker

Always done mine up and helps to keep your butt moist - ugh?
Always turned out great !!