Pala BBQ Comp

Started by Gizmo, April 02, 2011, 09:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Got my first taste of competition BBQ today, literally.  Actually found out about on before it happened and was able to make it.  Only about 20 miles away which was real nice.  Much different than what I had thought it was going to be.  I did get to stuff my face.  I knew one of the crew in Rib Ticklers.  It was nice to talk to him and he gave us the back end tour of the pit and showed us some of his modifications.  He also gave us a good helping of their s e x brisket which is basically burnt ends with a sweet sauce glazed.
Here are a few pics.

Now the Stump on the left produced the ribs below.

Bottom set of ribs were going to the judges.

Cute name of a team.

And the master Rib Tickler tickling his ribs.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

RossP

Glad you made it to the comp Giz. Now that you have been to one you have too take a judging class. Unfortunatley there does not seem to be one in your area this year again this year, there was one in early March. Lisa just signee up for the judging course in Kent Washington. Our first comp we a judging this year is the end of April. I can hardly wait it is only half a mile for our place. 
Great pics, thanks.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Gizmo

I'll have to keep my eye out for the judges training.  It would be fun to be behind the sceens.  Sounds like the teams have a great time after the crowds leave as well.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RossP

Here is the listing of the judges classes this year across the country. Take your pick.
http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

NePaSmoKer

Cool beans Giz

I will be hanging with Big Poppa this week 8/9th in New Holland.

seemore

to cool giz ... looks like a good time
seemore

OldHickory

That looks like fun, thanks for the pic's Giz.  It is almost like getting a tour.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

hal4uk

Looks like a big time, Giz!
Did you get a bite of those Stump'd ribs? 

That Stump's (the one on the left) is just like mine (Stretch model), but mine's silver.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Soon

I was glad to see the boys from "Slap Yo Daddy BBQ" did well. I always get a kick out of those boys doing so well with Weber WSM's stacked up against $20,000 cookers!

ghost9mm

Thanks for sharing the pictures, really enjoyed them..
   Gary
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

ronbeaux

Cool! The Mrs and me just finished packing for next weekend comp in DeQuincy Louisiana. College boy wormed his way back in again as the designated kitchen beotch.

Gonna be fun!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Gizmo

Quote from: hal4uk on April 03, 2011, 09:16:07 AM

No, sure didn't but they were sticky ribs as I could see the strings of stickiness stretching off the racks as he was removing them.  He was a one man crew and as near as I could tell only made the 3 racks and with that, he didn't have samples.
It was hard to tell if some of the teams had food for sampling. 
Big Poppa, Slap Yo Daddy, and a few other big names didn't appear to be serving samples to the public and I was really hoping to taste their Q.  Slap Yo Daddy took second.  A team from San Diego, Brazen BBQ, took first place and guess which team we didn't get a sample from.  The Mrs. suggested we try theirs but since they are opening a store in San Diego within the next few months, I figured we could get some from the Restaurant.  Guess I should have listened to the Mrs. 
I also liked seeing the teams that had modified their grills with Stokers or other power draft systems.  Might have to think about that one on the Big Ranch Grill.

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah! Way to much fun. :D
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

hal4uk

Quote from: Gizmo on April 03, 2011, 10:14:49 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on April 03, 2011, 09:16:07 AM

No, sure didn't but they were sticky ribs as I could see the strings of stickiness stretching off the racks as he was removing them.  He was a one man crew and as near as I could tell only made the 3 racks and with that, he didn't have samples.
It was hard to tell if some of the teams had food for sampling. 
Big Poppa, Slap Yo Daddy, and a few other big names didn't appear to be serving samples to the public and I was really hoping to taste their Q.  Slap Yo Daddy took second.  A team from San Diego, Brazen BBQ, took first place and guess which team we didn't get a sample from.  The Mrs. suggested we try theirs but since they are opening a store in San Diego within the next few months, I figured we could get some from the Restaurant.  Guess I should have listened to the Mrs. 
I also liked seeing the teams that had modified their grills with Stokers or other power draft systems.  Might have to think about that one on the Big Ranch Grill.
Yeah, it's fun seeing all those rigs some of these teams have.  I'd love have one of those big stick burners, but here in Illinois, it can go from hot to cold in a hurry --- they're better suited to southern climates.  Regardless, power drafts are da bomb.  BBQ can be forgiving, but, hey... it's 2011!!!  I could run my Stump w/o my DigiQII -- but I don't

Of course..  That said...  Me & Squirt had some pretty dang good ribs (at the Paducah BBQ festival) from one of the rattiiest-lookin' pits you ever saw with no power draft system last fall.
I think it was called "Big Bertha" (?)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby