8lb Pork Butt need some help from gurus

Started by bozer, September 02, 2011, 05:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozer

any recommendations for a sauce to put on the sandwhiches with this? Or do you not even use sauce?

muebe

I like a mustard based BBQ sauce myself. Some people like the sweet BBQ sauce like Sweet Baby Ray's for example on it. And there are some vinegar sauces that are good if you like vinegar. Habs vaunted vinegar is a good option :)

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Mach1

Quote from: muebe on September 03, 2011, 08:27:17 AM
I like a mustard based BBQ sauce myself. Some people like the sweet BBQ sauce like Sweet Baby Ray's for example on it. And there are some vinegar sauces that are good if you like vinegar. Habs vaunted vinegar is a good option :)

X2 for Habsvaunted vinegar!

mikecorn.1

Anybody got a link or recipe for the
Vaunted vinegar. Please excuse my ignorance on the subject matter. :-)

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Mike

FLBentRider

IMHO, freshly pulled pork needs no sauce, especially not some sticky-sweet-with-artificial-smoke-flavor stuff.

When I re-heat it I will use some vaunted vinegar, that stuff is like Jans rub, good on everything. Especially baked chicken :)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bozer

OMFG - I woke myself up a few times last night just thinking about the pork and if my house was on fire. But I didn't go and check, I let it sit. I just got up now, 8am and this thins is 190 degrees and it looks absolutely perfect. I'm so excited. I have friends coming over at 2PM to eat. When should I pull this thing out? I was hoping I could have appetizers with the friends, so eating at 2PM is kind of not ideal. I am going to have to FTC this, but what is the best way to not ruin this and it will still be warm for the friends? I need to maximize the time here.

bozer

Correction. It's now 200 degrees. I'm kind of worried its ready way too soon. help!

mikecorn.1

Wrap it up in few layers of heavy duty foil, as many towels as you can get around it so that it still fits in a cooler. it should stay real hot for hours
Mike

squirtthecat

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 04, 2011, 06:13:12 AM
Wrap it up in few layers of heavy duty foil, as many towels as you can get around it so that it still fits in a cooler. it should stay real hot for hours

Yep, FTC also works for 'holding' meat.   I had some in an Omaha Steaks cooler yesterday and they were finger scorching hot after 7 hours.    You done good!

bozer

Ok - I have taken it out at around 200. I put some apple juice on it with a mop, then I wrapped in a ton of foil and towels and into a cooler. I have hand warmers I could throw in there too if you think thats worth it.

When I go to pull the pork, do I need to do anything else? I was planning on using sauce but only on the sandwhiches, not mixed in when I pull it. Should I change that?

Wait till you guys see the pics. I'm smoking bacon now as an appetizer.

squirtthecat

TedEbear

Quote from: bozer on September 04, 2011, 06:31:03 AMWhen I go to pull the pork, do I need to do anything else? I was planning on using sauce but only on the sandwhiches, not mixed in when I pull it. Should I change that?

I always pull it and leave it "naked" on the platter with 5-6 different kinds of sauce in bottles next to it that people can add if they so desire.  Works great.  Some like it hot 'n spicy, some like it mild.

I'm starting my pulled pork at noon today for an ETA of 06:00 Monday morning at the latest.  This will free up the smoker for the 5-6 hours of baby back ribs later that morning.  I'm going to cook some ribs in the smoker and some in the oven and ask everyone which they thought turned out better.  My last batch of oven prepared ribs turned out fall-off-the-bone absolutely perfect.  It will be hard to beat that with the Bradley.

Pulled pork, ribs, brats, Italian sausage, brat burgers (never tried these before) and hamburgers.  Everything is planned to be ready for a 14:00 Monday afternoon feast.

bozer

Do you guys think I may have messed up by having it get to 200/205 internal? I hope not. I'm hoping that actually makes it better.